Cultivated Reef

Speed_Freaks Custom Cube

speed_freak03

speed_freak03

This is my new cube tank I set up recently. It is 16"x14"x14" (LWH), and is about 14 gallons. It is lit by 1 32watt PC and 2 13watt PC bulbs, But that will be ditched for a 70watt Halide as soon as I mount it. It has a Aquaclear 200 and a minijet 404 for water movement. The substrate is the black&white aragalive. Here is the list of livestock in it.

Fish:

2 Bangaii Cardinal

2 Yellow Clown Goby

1 True Percula

Coral:

6 colors of zoanthids (My favorites are my blues!)

Green ricordia florida

Orange ricordia yuma

2 variteys of green star polyp

Orange plate coral

Green tip hammer coral

Yellow polyps

Devils finger leather

Orange Montipora Capricornis

Snails/Crabs:

Cone Shell Crab

2 Hermit Crabs

3 Bumble snails

2 Mexican turbo snails

4 Trochus snails

Also about 12lbs of liverock

Here are some pictures

6608newcube3.jpg

6608greenhamer.jpg

6608coneshellcrab.jpg

In the next few weeks this tank will change a bit. Most of the soft coral will be gone, and SPS will be in its place :P . Ill post some update pics soon.

speed_freak03
Originally posted by Kogut

Lookin' nice. What kind of anemone is that in the middle, or is it an anemone? I like the look. Can't wait to see it w/ some SPS. ;)

Its a green LTA.

speed_freak03
Originally posted by ardo_ski

Nice Tank!!! Where in Michigan are you? Have you visited Michigan Reefers  ? Also did you buy you Corals on-line or local?

I live in Dearborn Heights, how about yourself. All my corals are from local fish shops, either Pet Connection, or Tropicorium. I do go to michiganreefers website pretty often.

speed_freak03

Here is a update. I ditched the PC lighting for a 70watt HQI setup with a Ushio 10k bulb. It is tons brighter, best money spent on the tank so far. I also added a couple new corals. An A. Milepora (brown with a white polyp) and a M. Digitata(brown with some pink on new growth). Both frags arent the best looking, but a start. In the next few weeks ill be getting a turquoise with blue tip stag and a green bali slimmer. They will look good. Here are some new pics:

Whole tank shot

6608newcubegood.jpg

A. Millepora

6608Amille.jpg

M. Capricornis

6608Mcap.jpg

M. Digitata

6608mdigitata.jpg

And my blue zoos (there starting to take off growing, hopefully ill have some small frags in the next few months)

6608bluezoo1.jpg

speed_freak03
Originally posted by Thunil

is that gravel on the bottom? if so what are the benefits/negatives of gravel

Its not gravel, it is the Aragalive Aragonite live sand (Indo-Pacific Black color).

speed_freak03
Originally posted by Cody

where did u get ur 70 watt hqi?

I bought the electronic ballast from someone local, bought the pendant from home depot, and got the bulb from my work. Then i jsut put it together. It cost $110 total.

speed_freak03

Well today i picked up a nice frag of a green with blue tip stag. The green is almost a turqouise color, and the blue stretches for about an inch. Heres a pic:

6608greenbluestag.jpg

SPeed freak sweet tank man, were pretty close, Im from roseville michigan. The LFS that I go to are Aquatic Disoveries (15mile ryan) and Oceans and Seas ( 10 & 1/2 Mile Gratiot).

speed_freak03
Originally posted by kevin25

SPeed freak sweet tank man, were pretty close, Im from roseville michigan. The LFS that I go to are Aquatic Disoveries (15mile ryan) and Oceans and Seas ( 10 & 1/2 Mile Gratiot).

Thats cool! I work over at Pet Connection (5mile and middlebelt), and is where I got this frag from and almost all of my coral at.

Do you guys have alot of stuff including corals, are they reasonable?. I have never been their, maybe one day I well get directions and stop buy. I am always looking for somewhere new to go.

speed_freak03
Originally posted by brianemone

how do the cardinals like it in their

They seem to like it although they would most likely like a larger tank:( .

speed_freak03
Originally posted by kevin25

Do you guys have alot of stuff including corals, are they reasonable?. I have never been their, maybe one day I well get directions and stop buy. I am always looking for somewhere new to go.

Yah we have alot of stuff. Ill send you a PM about the store.

speed_freak03

Here are some new frags that I bought:

Green M. Capricornis with red polyps (its alot greener in person, photo taken with flash)

6608a2.jpg

Nice Zoo frag(photo taken with flash)

6608a1.jpg

A dark green-blue Acro frag (photo taken with flash)

6608a3.jpg

Tiny green Acro frag

6608a4.jpg

I will post a whole tank pic tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...
speed_freak03

Here is a new update pic of the tank. I added 3 new Montipora Digitatas(Large purple colony, small orangish colony and yellow/green frag), and 3 new acros, 2 frags and one small blue acro colony. Well here is the new pic:

6608tankgoodlq.JPG

Archived