Innovative Marine Aquariums

What kind of LR do you prefer?

tinyreef

Or maybe some type dry base rock instead? (to be seeded later)

btw feel free to add/comment on other types if you know of other major types

printerdown01

It all depends on what I'm going to use it for... I chose tonga branch because I'm currently looking at setting up a smaller tank for my GF (most likely a 7 gallon). In smaller tanks it looks great, and it facilitates water motion -this is a plus in my book, as I really don't want an extra PH taking up space in my small tank. And when I'm setting up a larger system I prefer Marshall Islands, because of its round edges which seem to make it easy for coralline to encrust...

I prefer aquacultured rock. Lots of life, instant cycle (for me at least), beautiful and stable. Plus, it is environment-friendly, as you are not taking away from natural reefs.

MARSHALL ISLAND ALL THE WAY BABY!!!

not only they are 30% lighter then Fiji they are more porous, with lots of caves and cravouses for little fish and inverts. LFS normally sells them for alittle more, but they are well worth it. Most of them are collected with lot of life still on them.

It depends,

I love using Fiji LR, when I set-up a community reef or even a FOWL tank.

But tonga branch is the best when it comes to keeping horses. We all should probably be using AC live rock but I haven't seen any that is as diverse as some of the rock I've got from FIJI.

With natural reefs being destroyed at such a rapid rate around the world, we should not be encouraging others to destroy their heritage just because it will save us a few bucks in stocking our tanks.

Aquaculture is the only truly responsible alternative in my view.

From what I've read recently, it's not the aquarium trade that's destroying the reefs, it's building and agriculture. Some countries are ripping out the reefs to set up docking for cruise lines. They also use the reef for building roads and houses. I found that information in The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium - Volume 1 by Svein A. Fossa & Alf Jacob Nilsen.

If we insist on aquacultured or net caught fish, that will cut the use of cyanide (it's still used for food fish).

I agree that aquacultured rock is a great way to go too.

I plan on going aquacultured all the way.

Just my $.02

Archived