inTank Media Baskets

29 gallon setup Q's...

DJU

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, I've been posting on Reef Central for a while and found this forum to be quite interesting. See, my 100 gallon tank is ruining the wall behind it in my townhouse. The humidity from my tank is destroying the molding on the wall. I've decided that a smaller tank is the way to go.

Anyways, I've decided on setting up a Reef Ready 29 gallon tank that I ordered from www.wetdryfilter.com. I am planning on having a 20 gallon sump/refugium and a closed loop system. I'm going to use a mag-drive 750 for the return from the sump and a mag drive 950 for the closed loop system. The closed loop will be connected to a spray bar and a 3/4" Sea-swirl. For lighting I plan on using a 175 watt metal halide and two 55 watt actinic PC's mounted in a PFO reflector. I'll mount the lights in a custom canopy that I am building at work. I am going to transfer over two pink skunk clowns, a neon goby and two corals. (2 green brains). I'll probably take a handfull of snails from my main tank also, some turbo's, astrea, nass. and some hermits.

I plan on putting in enough live rock that it'll look good (I have 150 pounds of Marshall Island live rock to choose from). For the sump I am going to have a refugium with macro algea and 3-4" of live sand or Kent-Biosediment. I don't plan on having a skimmer but I'll add one if it is ever needed.

Any comments or things that I have overlooked?

Thanks,

DJU

that's some serious current you've got planned.

i would only suggest maybe trading one of the brains for an 'upright' coral, colt or acro. the height of the tank could also give you some aquascaping options with montis. based upon the water movement you've got planned i'd go for acros.

you still may want to downsize some more too. 29 and a 20 plus that movement may still generate significant splash, humidity, or salt creep (whatever is damaging your wall/molding). are you planning on only keeping the brains or similar?

welcome to the shallow end of the pool! :) you may think it's safer and easier : but the kids play here and we all know what kids do in the pool. :x

Thanks for the reply,

The damage to my wall is being caused by high humidity. I just bought a giant dehimidifier from Home Depot. It pulls about 2-3 gallons of water out of the air a day. That can't be good for teha wall behind my house. I worked out the turnover rate and with the head pressure it was about 20X an hour if I remember correctly. It didn't seem to be to high at the time (I'm known for overkill), but it if it is I can always throttle down the pumps or downgrade.

I do plan on keepng acro's, the brains that I have seem to be doing pretty good in my 100 gallon tank. Its got a mag drive 2400 going into 2 3/4 seaswirls, and a redsea wavemaker pro, the current is pretty high in there too.

Thanks for the little bit of sanity, my wife is listening to "Skater Boy" by Avril Lavigne, and I'm about to go insane.

-DJU

Archived