Pod Your Reef

3 1/2 month photos

audiocontrol

Specs....

Nano-Cube with minijet 606 in rear, and a microjet in the actual tank itself aimed directly at the green star polyps.

Lighting - 24 watt jbj 50/50, 32 watt csl 50/50, 2 coralife 50/50 10 watt screw in PC's 76watts. The canopy is lifted about 1" off of the frame with custom made hood stands so light can shine into the rear refuge as well as accomodating room for the 2 screw in PC's at the front of the tank.

Rear chamber - Everything replaced with live rock rubble except for two sponges.

The Wildlife! -

Green Star Polyps

Green Button Polyps

Green Zoanthids

Solid Orange Zoanthids

Brown/Orange Zoanthids

Orange/Green Zoanthids

Solid Brown Zoanthids

Pink Zoanthids

Purple Sea Whip

Dark Purple Sea Finger

Lesser Starlet Coral

Green Striped Mushrooms

Blue Mushrooms

Red Mushrooms

Teal/Cyan Mushrooms

Brown Mushrooms with Cyan Stripes

3 XL Hairy Mushrooms (seriously 7" in diameter)

several Pom-Pom Xenia colonies

Bubble Coral (re-growing from a "damaged coral tank" at lfs)

Waving Hand Anthelia

Brown Montipora

Hidden Cup Coral

Inhabitants -

1 Floridian Hitchhiker Crab

1 Peppermint Shrinp

3 Blue legged hermits

5 astrea snails

brittle stars

occasional jellyfish (i think most have since died after hatching)

Many other things...

Water-

Glacier Water from Safeway with Oceanic salt

Addatives-

Chromaplex, Aragamight, CoralAccel

lookin sweet. i like the gorg on the top right. i want to get one but i've heard they're pretty hard to keep. do u do anything really out of the ordinary to care for it?

ohhh...the purple frilly. Are you kidding? Thats one of the easiest SOB's to care for in my tank, lol. To keep him happy, he needs at least a medium amount of light (direct)...good flow of water (doesnt have to be alternating)..and enjoys the occasional phytoplankton.

The gsp is similar to the purple sea whip. Between the two, I have noticed more vibrant color and elongated tentacles with the enchancement of chaotic fierce water movement.

I picked it up from my LFS. He was only $15. It is a fairly well grower too. Forms a nice purple base with polyps in no time. Unlike the purple seafinger, the whips' polyps are ALWAYS open, due to the fact it is mostly photosynthetic.

by the way, you can tell on the tip top how he is about to shed a mucus layer tommorrow to clean itself. It does that once every two weeks or so. The rapid water movement helps to clean that off.

nice nice, i might have to pick one of those up if i see one for a good price. i'm up in minnesota so we don't really get alot of good stuff and when we do, $$$$$. Big bucks. thanks for the tips and good luck with your tank.

Tank looks absolutely great , nice aquascaping, great color, gsp looks fantastic, looks like you also take alot of pride in the care of your tank and it shows....

thank you very much vyger! very nice of you to say so. Believe me, it took a few years of trial an error on my last reef to get to this point. One interesting thing to note...on my last reef, it took me over a year to grow coraline algae, my star polyps never grew (and NEVER looked like that in the new picture), and the only thing i was able to frag were leather corals, which would later die half a year down the road.. I guess I finally got the reef thing down...

Archived