inTank Media Baskets

Question about Lighting

rcc85

I've been looking at the lighting available at petsupplyliquidators.com and I would like to know what lighting system you would go with if you had a 20L 30X12X12 tank? I want to get the right lighting system so that whatever corals I decide to get I will have enough light for them. I dont want to find out later on that I dont have enough light for the corals that I end up choosing. These are the lights that I am considering:

29" Ultra Reef Light, 3x55W Bulbs

2 switches w/moisture resistant covers, 2 cords, AC Fan, thick Lexon shield to protect from splash, measures 29" x 11" x 4"

OR

24" Metal Halide Light, Fan with 2 PC 55watt bulbs

Polished aluminum reflector, AC fan, separate switches and cords, external ballast case, NO shield

Also do you think that this 24" fixture is not going to provide enough light because my tank is 30" long? If I put it in the middle the corners of my tank are going to be dark. But if I get a 36" MH + PC fixture its going to be to long. Building my own hood is not an option for me because I'll would probably electrocute myself or burn down the house.

Thanks.

Raymond

i've got the same type tank (20L) with a 150w mh ushio 10000K only, no actinic (yet) as a hospital.

i'd recoomend the mh w/pc's. the mh will let you have anything under there light range-wise. also you can still keep low-light animals on the sides.

the pc setup will also have some lowlight zones on the sides. the fixtures still have to accomodate the pc sockets and base of the bulb. you end up losing about 3" of light emanation anyway. that's one of the reasons i prefer vho, it allows almost end-to-end light coverage with little shade.

Archived