Cultivated Reef

sump/refug/skimmers?

DevouR

I atm have a 25gl eclipse with stock filter set( no room for a skimmer unless i ditch the stock stuff , & retrofit kit lighting.

But this reef keeping thing is growing on my faster then fastfood did

I want to start another set up:

I think i'm going with a low style 30gl tank almost all reef/ clams maybe a pair of clowns . I know basicly what sumps & refug's are but am not sure what would be best for that set up. Maybe just a skimmer? I want to keep light dwelling clams & no that they need GREAT water conditions.

As for the sump, I am not really into to DIY atm because of time ( it takes enough time maintaining the tanks lol.

I would love to have the time to build a sump or a refug but I dont think thats possable as I have to mod the canopy a great deal to get intence lighting I want.

If its not a problem be kinda specific as I'm a noobie

How would you set up this tank?

i currently have a CPR BakPak on my tank, and the water quality is great. i would suggest running your tank with a skimmer if possible. this would help maintain water quality. having a sump or refug means that you have a larger volume of water so its harder for your water conditions to fluc.

printerdown01

Def use a skimmer on the larger tank... I would then also go with a filter that will allow you to use chem filtration... Add a refuge or a refuge/sump combo (i.e. 1/2 the sump is lighted) if you want... This will certainly help keep water conditions better... I don't think it is a must however...

MrConclusion

The best thing about having a refugium is that you can light it 24 hours a day, and grow crazy amounts of macroalgae in it. This inhibits algae growth in the main tank, and it exports nitirtes & phosphates from the tank when you harvest the macroalgae.

Also, if you or a friend have fish-type tanks with tangs or angels, the exported macroalgae makes great food for them.

You should be aware that the Eclipse hood needs major light renovation to be able to support clams. Even "low light" clams like squamoshas clams will need more than the Eclipse's dual NO fluorescents.

There is argment over whether Maximas should be under fluorescent at all!

When deciding light, forget watts-per-gallon and look at watts-per-square-inch (of aquarium floor.) Also adjust this numbner upwards for deeper tanks.

On your 30 gallon, with its 36x12 inches of floor and a low depth (which is good) I would want two 96-watt PC's for clams. I don't think you can make that happen in an Eclipse hood. Maybe you can get a couple 55's to fit, though. Check out AHsupply.com or customsealife.com and maybe send them an Email to see if anyone has tried such a retrofit.

Good luck!

I have a 25gl setup at the moment.

The 30gl will be another brand with a DIY canopy:)

I think I will have enough room to get 2 96watt pc's on.

MrConclusion

That's good news - 2x96watt is a sweet setup. With a decent reflector you'll deliver more lumens to the tank than a 250 watt metal halide. Of course, there are arguments that metal halide is superior (point-source and all...)

Archived