ReefCleaners.org

one fish? two fish? red fish? blue fish?

Max

So heres the deal I and a couple of freinds are getting together to get some fish for my freind for x-mas to stock his 7 G mini bow. It has about 10-12 pounds of LR and a HOB refugium with some grape calpurna(sp?). I have a few questions he had some suggestions as to what he wants and they go as follows

Long nose hawk

six line

bangjaii(sp?) cardinal

neon goby

some kind of jaw fish depends on what the LFS has in stock

possibly some other kind of goby such as a green banded or larger. Green bandeds can be hard to get around here.

Obviously those arent all going to make the cut it will probably end up being only one off the list. As of right now all he has in the tank is a small clean up crew and the tank has been running for about 4 months and is over run with life. My conserns with some of the fish are as follows the long nose hawk while I have heard it is not very active it can get kind of large. Maybe to big for a mini bow? The six line I am worried is to active and requires more swimming room also I have heard its a roll of the dice wheather it will eat youe inverts or not. The other fish I am sure would do fine if the hawk or the sixliner wont work out. Let me know and sorry for the long post

I have a minibow7 so IMO:

The Sixline would be fine, I had one, but my large anemone ate it when i was on vacation. I dont know anything about hawkfish. The Cardinal would also be fine. IMO the neon Goby would get boring. The Jawfish will end up jumping out period. If it were me I would get the Six Line, and a small goby (1" or under)

Longnose Hawk gets too big and isn't good for a reef tank. Cardinals like to be in groups. Sixline, Gobies, or Jawfish are good choices. I personally would stick with one clownfish, because of the fact they don't have problems with jumping out of the tank.

max -- no idea what you're trying to say.

six lines are actually incredibly active fish, but like lots of room... i would be hesitant to put one in a 7gal because of jumping issues if it feels cramped. i'd go with a clown or a couple small gobies.

kindaobsessed

Is it possible to house 2 clowns? I'd like to get a mated pair for a Nano 12g DX but want to ask before getting hopes up. It will have 16# of live rock and 1.5 inches of sand.

Thanks much

I had two (mated) true percs in my 7... it worked because I also had a 5 gallon fuge full of nutrient fixing crud. IMO, all of those fish are too active except for the neon goby or a clown. I'd start with one. And to greatreef16... NO WRASSES in a 7! They will deplete the pod supply to nothing and then kill themselves b/c they are bored AND hungry.

Archived