SaltCritters.com

Couple ID's for you guys!

NoobieReefer

Ok, I cannot tell if this thing is macroalge? Its the green shoot that is rising out of the rock. The green shoot is on one end of the picture. It's surrounded by what i am figuring is hair algea. Also there is a little pink thing growing on the corraline. This is on the opposite end of the picture. It grows in branches and almost looks like brachea tubes or something from a human lung. O, and just a quick added question. Anyone know why mushrooms would loose their brilliant color. When i got these green shrooms they were very bright, now they are fading and getting a fleshy color?

jenniebutterfly

the red looks like a macro i had in my tank till my snails devoured it, i cannot remember it's name, the green i am not sure of cuz the pic is kinda dark. as for the mushrooms, i think it could depend on your lighting, or possibly parameters of your water maybe?

Hmm... So from what I have read, macro is better than micro. Should i leave it or wipe it out? I am just afraid it will start taking over my tank. Oh, my lighting is ... 3 19watt PC; 1 20watt 50/50; 1 9watt actinic. Its a 5.5 gal tank. I have been using the LFS salt water and until recently was using the local Kroger Distilled water for topoffs. I have had all my levels great but have always had a high Ph. My test have consistently shown up at 8.6 to 8.8. Still trying to figure things out since im pretty new at this.

jenniebutterfly

haha i am pretty new too, the red one grew fairly slow in my tank, i would leave it for now, and if it starts to get out of hand then just get some astrea snails, they loved mine. i really liked that kind too. yes macro is good, if you have a refugium put it in there, :)

There are two types of very fast growing "macro" algae that should only be kept in a "fuge". ( in my own opinion) Caulerpa Racemosa and Caulerpa Taxifolia. They both atatch to the rock work, get in crevase's and grow like mad on to anything.

Chaeto is more than likely what the red sprouts are. This is a very controlable, very helpfull macro algae, the green sprouts sound like a form of calurpa sp. not sure though with out a closer , clearer shot of each.

I will try to get some better pics for you. It's hard because my digital camera takes the pics to high res even at the minimum for this site . Got to get photoshop. anyways thank you guys for your ideas!

Archived