inTank Media Baskets

grr, Ebo Jager not working!

Jandree22

alright, based on the recomendations of this site, I got myself a 50W EboJager Heater for my 10gal I'm just beginning to set up... Last night I set the dial on 78° and I check out my tank this morning... it's 82°! I do the lil reset thing the instructions suggest(turning it back 3-4°, THEN adjust it to where you want it). I then adjusted it to 77°, just got back from class, it's 80° and still cookin! I adjusted it once more now to 76° and it's still turned off, but I bet it'll switch on at 76° and get stuck on, again:( Am I doing something wrong or should I return it for another one??? thanks!

I have the same heater and it has been working great until I added more light and left them on for six hours. It also got up to 82. I don't have any fish in my five gallon, just live rock and hitchhikers with some brown musrooms I bought today. Watch your lighting. I run my tanks open top and I think the extra 13 watts made a difference because it worked fine for eight dys.

right now I have no lighting on the tank. i'm just in the process of stabalizing(or trying to at least) the temperature and salinity. our room is on the cool side as well so it can't be from that:(

printerdown01

If you do return it pick up a 75+ watt... 50 is a little small for a 10 gallon if you ask me. I would actually suggest a 100W. Tanks with smaller water volumes are more likely to have temperature swings, as there is less volume to retain heat (this is also true in reverse, which is why so many people are putting chillers on there nanos). Is the room hot, by chance? If you decide to ditch the Ebo, you could use a Tronic -they are both supposed to be extreamly reliable (you may have just gotten a bad apple!). I have strictly used Tronics for years, since I have never had any problems with them... just my 2 cents, for what it's worth (actually my info probably isn't even worth 2 cents :P ...) -oh well...

yeah, im sure I just got a lemon;) Even if the temp is supposed to be 80-82, that's not the prob with this heater. The prob is I set it for let's say, 77... when the water cools down to 77, sure enough it will kick on. HOWEVER, it gets stuck in the on position and continues to heating to what is now 81??? Yeah, def returning this puppy, I'm not takin any chances, haha.... Anyways, yah, im sure these are awesome heaters and I just picked out a lemon, bad apple, whatever fruit you wanna call it!:P I think this time I'll give a tronic a try, however, because I'm stubborn like that, hehe..... thanks guys!

edit: printerdown... isn't it possible to overheat a tank? that's what scares me, that like, since it has so much power it'd heat up too quickly... i dunno, I probably dont make any sence:P I guess I'll just pick up a 75/100W to be safe

Go penn state!

Bigger heaters dont overheat tank they just switch on less often. I've heard they actually use less electricity total but I'm not certain. Too lazy to test. My Ebo-Jager works great.

I have a tronic 50w for my 10 and it works fine for me. Everyone I spoke to recommended them without question. I also considered buying a 75w or even 100w for my 10 but unless you have REALLY extreme cold spells, I wouldn't bother. If a 100w does get stuck on your livestock is going to boil a lot faster than with a 50w which might give you time to get things under control. Just my two cents. My temp doesn't budge with my tronic.

Are are absolutely positive that you're seeing it stay on (neon light on) constantly as it heats the water from 77 to 82? You seemed a little vague on that, based on your posts.

If you're sure you don't have any other heat sources near your tank water, including high ambient room temp, I would suspect a problem with the heater.

Well the room temp is low 70's, so it can't be that, and there is currently no lighting hitting the tank. It had to have been all heater.

I just made a run to the LFS today and returned that and picked up a 100W Visi-Therm. I've had good experiences with them in the past and I decided to just go ahead with that. I'm so happy now tho, the heater actually shuts off by itself:D haha... thanks for ALL the advise guys!

Archived