Innovative Marine Aquariums

Too Many Inverts?

Mnesarchus

My 10g tank has 16lbs of liverock and 15lbs of Aragonite. Is this list of invertabrates too many for my tank? If so, which would you remove?

1. 3 Bumblebee Snails (Allready got them)

2. 6 Turbo Snails (Allready got them)

3. 3 Blue-Legged Hermits (Got them)

4. 1 Featherduster (Got it)

5. 1 Long-Spined Sea Urchin [about the size of a quarter](got it)

6. 1 Cleaner Shrimp (Plan to add it next weekend)

I would also like something to stir up my sand bed a little, what would you reccomend?

Thanks, Mnes

the turbos are too many imo. 1~3 at the most for a 10g. unless they are really astrae snails and won't get much bigger as quickly as a turbo would.

the urchin is nice to keep but will mostly likely strip your tank bare of coralline eventually. you could keep it out of novelty-sake and teach it to eat nori or something. not sure if it does eat nori tho. ???

i would even get more blue-legs (1~2/gallon) for sand-stirring purposes. the shrimp should be ok to get depending on if you have clams (in which case i wouldn't).

I would get rid af all but 1 or 2 turbos, they will get big and bulldoze your tank. I would replace them with an assortment of some astrea,ceriths, nassaus, etc. For a total of 10-15 snails. You could certainly add another hermit or two(IMO blue or scarlet reef). The bumblebees are great eyecandy, but not real hard workers. I would also ditch the urchin, it will just cause problems in a small tank. Go for the cleaner shrimp, they're a riot! Especially at feeding time. Good luck!!;)

I am still new,but i'd keep the long spine urchin for a while,i had one and i never seen him do much damage to the coralline and he got huge pretty quick too. the only thing bad about them is in a nano they knock over coral!

printerdown01

Too many turbos. I wouldn't recommend using turbos nor urchins, but since you have them, no need to get rid of them. Just make sure you pick up an epoxy stick, and glue everything down!! You'll be just fine... Blue legged hermits are supposed to stir the sand, IMO they are really lazy. What about using nass or some burrowing cerith (so long as your hermits don't eat them).

get rid of that urchin i got one when i didn't know any better and he almost cleaned me out of coralline when i was out of town ,and he ran out of any thing els to eat.

starr

Archived