inTank Media Baskets

Fraggin' Xenia, and other questions

lil_clownfish13

lil_clownfish13

Hallo Hallo -- I have just a few quick questions (i hope!)

1) How would i go about fragging pulsing xenia "in situ" because it is on a huge rock? (I was thinking of tying off a branch with unflavored dental floss untill it pinched off??)

2) What should the lighting conditions be for a finger leather? At this point it is mid-tank under 2 (15 watt) Coralife 50/50's and a 20K actinic bulb

3) Should i be target feeding my ricordias?

Thanks for all the help with these! Helpful as ALWAYS :happy:

-tina

1. Xenia are hardy, I literally just carefully pull them off.

2. I don't have one, so I don't know.

3. It can't hurt to try, especially with the level of light you have. I have fed mine in the past but not regularly.

Dale

lil_clownfish13

1) Perfect thanks

2) Anyone else for comment on keeping finger leathers??

3) How much light should i have with ricordia? Ive got about 40 watts over the tank?? (10 gal)

Thanks! :happy:

harbingerofthefish

Xenia will frag it's self. You can tie it off, use a razor or place a rock leaning on it's base and it will spread on to it. If it's doing well in your tank almost nothing you can do in the fragging process will bother it.

Your Finger will probally do fine with the lighting as long as it stays in full "sun". Leathers like light, so as long as nothing is shading it it should be okay. Although the growth will be a lot slower with your lighting. I have a Devils Hand in my tank with 4wpg. It has spread out some but only half again it's size in some 6 months.

Ricordia should be more than fine. I've seen it in all kinds of lighting. Like most shrooms they don't really care. They adapt way too well. In my tank, when it's time to change the bulb they seem to do better and spread more.

the frag master

just be careful with the leaters. just dont let a piece of rock fall on it. that would really be devastating to you. i know it happend to my huge leather (bright flourescent pink and it was about 12 inches total). so just some quik words of advice. ricordias do not really need to be fed, but i feed them every other week with some zooplankton produced by red sea. (available at most reef stores) check with your dealer. xenia just do whatever you want almost insitructable. hope that this help keep us posted

Archived