Pod Your Reef

Mandrain?

Travis

Do you guys think that I would be able to keep a mandrain in my 20 Long. I was told by several people that you could keep one mandrain per 30 lb of ESTABLISHED LR. Since I have close to 40 lb of LR, do you guys think I would be able to keep one in 6 months-1 year from now?

I think I would be able to. My rock is already teaming with Amphipods and other lil critters.

dms12 - how long have you had your set-up, how long have you maintained the mandarin, and what do you feed it.

and how do you know he's "happy?" there's no way of knowing that unless we are fish psychics. and fish can't even experience the human emotion of happiness. hahah.

Making one more thread doesn't make it more or less possible. hahah. and why does everyone keep mispelling it and calling it a manDRAIN...kinda perverted.

The tank was about 4 months old when i put the mandarin in. And ive had the mandarine for about a year and a half with a 30lbs of Live Figi rock. And 20lbs of live sand. I feed it Spectrum THER+A (the bottle has a pic of a blue tang on it) and once in a while i get some Brine.

haha, travis, you shouldn't have a problem keeping one. as long as your sure that he will have a steady and plentiful food source. A word of advice though when getting a manDARIN from your lfs, make sure that he has a full belly. i know it is hard to find one with one but it is very hard to bring them back once they are already in bad shape. good luck

hm..on RC it says a minimum of 75 lb of LR.....well I guess that it..I wil vote no on my own thread :P

If only some one would tank bread these suckers and raise them on flakes and brine....

Originally posted by dms12

And i know my mandrain is happy couse he aint dead and it loves to fly around all day and night

That doesn't mean he is necessarily "happy." that means he is just alive. hahah.

Let's break it down even more.

1) "he aint dead" - that begs the question for if the mandarin was dead, I'd have no reason to ask you whether it was happy.

2) "loves" to... - that incorporates yet another permutation of the human emotion of "happiness." so to answer a question regarding how one can determine whether you have correctly assessed his "emotional" state with an answer that is merely synonymous to the first emotion, doesn't answer the question either. eg. you ask me what does it mean to feel mad. and I answer w/ "you feel mad when you feel ####ed." doesn't help.

3) "...fly around all day and night" - this is what fish do is it not? Sure, a fish on its deathbed may not, but I've seen fish w/ ich "fly around all day and night" so at best I just know that he may not be utterly miserable, but other than that, I have no way of knowing. not utterly miserable does NOT equal happiness per se. And besides, mandarins are slow movers and they do require periods of sleep...so that answer is far too removed from reality for me to trust its validity.

Don't take this post too seriously, I was just bored and trying to waste time before I have to work again.

But I still disagree w/ the ppl who voted "yes."

lol.. well hopefully one day fish will be at the top of the food chain. and then they can put us in tanks feed us and spend thousands of dollars on them to make there life better. Then they can get back at us for all the nasty things we do to them. lol but for now my pockets are gettin thinner to make them and ME HAPPY. :-)

Well, I didn't say I was gonna do it, just LOGICALY toying with the IDEA ;) There's a Difference....at least I didn't by it then ask if i could keep it. Alot of people around here seem to do that...:P

lol, good job for voting no in your own poll. maybe we ought to get a mod to make a sticky thread about mandarin care, that other one we were discussing it in was a good one.

whats sad is that we even NEED a sticky thread for mandarin care on a nano reef website, *sigh*.

Archived