Innovative Marine Aquariums

yuma ripped in half

abernier

hmmm...I don't know if yumas and floridas react to such stress differently. But if it was a ricordea florida I would be very confident that it would come back....but you'll have 2 pieces instead of 1.

Just give it some breather space in a low flow, low light (but not dark) area on the sand. or at least lower towards the sand.

yumas and floridas both can be split in half to propigate them. as long as there is part of the mouth it will regrow into two new ones i believe. place it in low flow, in med-high light. try putting some sand or gravel in a cup and placeing them on that, with small holes in it, so that the flow does not move the ric around and it has a chance it attach itself. in a few days/weeks it will attach to the gravel and you can move it to a rock. at that point you may still need to rubberband it to the rock until it is attached. i think you'll be better off moving the whole rock next time :P

it's not like everyday that a nanoreefer will split a yuma. i've asked fequently for advice on yuma propagation and it doesn't seem that anybody intentionally does it here. keep us posted if it works.

today both of the halfs are kinda shrivild up, but it doent look that bad. they look like they are trying to close up, because you can no longer see their entrails. i just hope that they will be ok.

it's not like everyday that a nanoreefer will split a yuma. i've asked fequently for advice on yuma propagation and it doesn't seem that anybody intentionally does it here. keep us posted if it works.

What do you want to know? For a plethora of info on coral propagation, visit wetwebmedia.com or reefcentral's Ask Anthony Calfo forum. He is the source of knowledge for coral prop. questions.

Anyways, rics can be propagated by cutting them in pizza slices with part of the mouth in each piece and then fasten them somehow to a rock/large piece of gravel or plug and pu tthem in low flow. they do not grow fast unfortunately so propagation of ricordea is as common as say acropora. HTH

MperRluvR have you actually propagated ric yumas before? how many times? how long does it take to "fill" in? the proposition of cutting into my single pink ric yuma does not sound like a good experiment. i want someone else to go first. anyone else cut a ric yuma?

It is very very rare to get any ric to live after cutting them into pieces whether or not part of the mouth is on both pieces.

It sad but your yuma is probably gonna die off.

salty...what are you talking about? lol. have you personally cut them to figure out if they'll live or not? if so, can you remember if the cuts were jagged or straight? the more jagged the cut the better chance the coral has of becoming infected. i always cut it a straight line out from the mouth.

i've never had any problems with my rics dying on me after i cut them for propagation. i've cut my floridas and my gf's yumas(not the 100 buck per polyp kind though...we don't make that kind of money yet) to see how they reacted and how long it takes them to split. what i did was grab a razor blade and cut through the mouth and 'upward', if that makes sense. i found that if i cut any other way but towards 12oclock the rics had a tendency to heal back together...but if cut upward they had a tendency to finalize the split on their own(probably cuz of the weight of their own flesh and the water flow).

ah finally someone with actual exp. yoshiod9, by cutting upward are you only cutting the mouth? do you cut all the way down to the rock?

they do not grow fast unfortunately so propagation of ricordea is as common as say acropora. HTH

i forgot a word. what i meant was:

they do not grow fast unfortunately so propagation of ricordea is not as common as say acropora.

thanks for catching the error

MperRluvR have you actually propagated ric yumas before? how many times? how long does it take to "fill" in? the proposition of cutting into my single pink ric yuma does not sound like a good experiment. i want someone else to go first. anyone else cut a ric yuma?

only floridas so far. my yumas are not big enough to propagate. if you only have one, i would suggest letting it naturally multiply first, especially if you've never propagated corals before. then at least you have room for error, without destroying the whole thing.

There is a mushroom only (corallimorpharians) forum on reefcentral that covers all subjects from yuma health to propagation. Most of the people on that forum know a lot about yumas and have propagated them succesfully. HTH

Lets see some pics Yoshi?? until I see it I wont believe it.

I have tried it. infact I did it to one of my nice expensive orange yuma's. ( had six thats why I only have five now.) AND I used a BRAND NEW razor on it. I cut it from the mouth to the edge of the shroom. It spewed its guts and melted away. I have read about people doing it before but like I said from what i see and hear it is rare. Just as it is rare to get most discomas to propogate by cutting them into pie pieces. only certain species will allow it.

I have not had luck cutting any shroom or ric in the pizza slice fashion or even just in half. I have however had some success with just cutting the shroom/ric off at the base, getting the head to attach on a new piece of rock and the stem to regrow a head. Not very economicalif you are looking to make some money, but it worked for me.

etoh- yeah, i cut through the mouth all the way down to the rock.

salty- sorry man, i didn't take pics when i cut them(i didn't own a camera at the time) but i can take a pic of my florida rock now(about 8 or 9 months after i propped two of the rics). where did you see and hear that it is rare to prop yumas and discosomas in this manner? i personally learned of this method through reading anthony calfo's book of coral propagation and through talking to him and watching him prop corallimorphs(among other corals) at my club meeting a few months ago. i'll do it again sometime soon and take pics. i'm leaving to vegas today so i won't be able to follow up on this thread for a couple days. let me know if you find anything else! =) happy holidays everyone.

i just realized that you guys might be saying that you are cutting all the way across the oral disc of the ric. i don't do it that way...i cut from the mouth outward only one time. say youre looking at an analog clock and it is the top of the hour. i cut from the center up towards the 12 mark till i run out of surface to cut. doing the prop in this manner is the absolute safest way to prop your shrooms. as i said before, i haven't had a single loss with this method and a new polyp forms within a few weeks.

OOPS!!!!!!!!!! I apologize!! I have heard of this quarter cutting and it works with "most " all rics and discomas.

Thought you were talking about a total division.

heck no...my gf would've split my head in half if i told her i was going to cut her rics in half to try to prop them! lol. here's a link i found that might help you prop out your yumas salty. i actually just decided to cut two floridas directly in half. lol. i'm also going to try the method described in this link.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...25&pagenumber=1

Thats awsome I am gonna try it!!!!!!!! I like that way a whole lot better and think it is MUCH safer then cutting from the mouth in any direction. ( especialy with high dollar rics)

Archived