Cultivated Reef

2 months and running :)

reefitis

2 months and running :)

finally got pics of my tank (thanks mike), its been about two months since i first laid eyes upon nano-reef.com and started my tank, a 20 gal. (but took measurements of tank, and should be close to 23 gal). so here it is

tank specs: 20 gal glass, rio 180, ebo 100w heater, 2.5" arag SB, approx. 20lbs LR, 2x55 PC w/DIY canopy and stand, 2x13w PC atinics, przim skimmer

inhabitants: (need more ) 2 scarlet hermits, one blue leg, 2 astreas, 8 nassari snails, firefish goby, maroon clown (approx. 3/4"), baby mantis shrimps galore and stuff on LR (crustaceans, worms, etc.)

coral: all frags (three types of shrooms, candycane, leather (thanks strife), button pollops and flowerpot?

reefitis has attached this image:

nice, like i always say, "NICE"

very nice...like the rock formation..

now its making me want a bigger tank ;)

not many reef hobbyist would not agree in keeping goniopora's, but i guess now's the time for an exeption, yours is extreme small and still growing ;)...but its still small to really tell what it is...like i told you, it could be an encrusting sea mat...but it does look like flowerpot tho...

just want to warn you that they dont really do well in captivity, but there are people that have had success with them for years....and i wish you luck on that...

hehe...

NICE tank...can wait to see clearer pictures... LOL

nice archways. Im a skeptic of Goniporas, BUT some can be kept. it all depends on how they are handled and the lighting they came from. Also be aware they are sussceptable to brown jelly and tissue recession.

thanks guys, appreciate the advice and comments...as for stocking it? dunno, gonna just go with it and see what happens, im not into instant reef tanks, like to start small, so we'll see what opportunities arise ;)

• 7 months later...

well, its been more than two months now, and i decided to post some updated pics, just for comparison.

05/08/03 broke tank down, and started new cycle in december. so its been like 4.5 mo. with a few additions. i need to get rid of the yellowish water color...any suggestions?

sorry, can't compete with all you reefers, but hopefully will have some more tank time after school is done.

peace in the middle east

Hehe can't go wrong with green star polyps and zoos in my opinion. :) The tank looks good, but you definitely need some stock.

Hmmm... well from my favorites and copying my own tank, your next coral should be a xenia. Then I would look into an lps coral like a torch or hammer. Preferably branching varieties since I like those better. :) Oh, and can't forget about the open brain.

I know, I know. Sounds like most reef tanks out there. But I still think that combination of coral looks the most beautiful. Without having to have hundreds of watts of MH light over your tank that is. :)

Good work. Now get to stockin' that thing!

EDIT: Oh and if you're looking to rid yourself of yellowish water color. Do these two things. First, clean your glass. To me, that's the biggest thing that produces supposed color changes in your tank's water. If that doesn't work, run some carbon in your tank. Preferably in a hob filter if you have one or in a resevoir of your protein skimmer/surface skimmer... if you have one. :)

Oh and another edit. If you want your tank to look full without being crowded, choose some 'large' pieces of coral. I've found, so far, that the larger corals in my tank make it appear that I have more lush life in my aquarium than several small specimens.

hey x, thanks for the advice. yeah i'm waiting untill schools over for the summer, then i'll get back into the swing of tank maintaining and stocking. as for the yellowish water, i just started running carbon in a hob. will see if it clears in a few.

as for the small pieces of corals, hehe what can i say, i'm a frag addict compared to buying larger pieces (with a couple exceptions) because i like to see them grow, and dont have a lot of money to spend right now ;)

thanks again.

;)

Archived