Coral Vue Hydros

Starting my 20 gallon cycle... have questions...

Mastermind

I just picked up 20 gallons of distilled water, and a 15 pound jug of Oceanic Natural Sea Salt. I just put a layer of Aragonite sand in the tank, and I think I'm ready to put the salt in...

Here's my questions:

1- Is this Oceanic salt good? I've never heard anything about it, but it's what the LFS recommended.

2- Right now I have a 4200K MH on the tank, should I turn it on at all in the next couple days? Or should I wait until my 10000K bulb gets here?

3- I currently don't have any powerheads, as I am also waiting for them to get here (Sometimes I want to kill FedEx, lol) Is it ok to start cycling the tank without water movement?

4- I also forgot to pickup a hydrometer when I bought the salt... is it ok to mix as per the directions and put it in tonight, and wait until tomorrow when I can buy a hydrometer to check the salinity?

5- Final question! I'm picking up my liverock locally on Wednesday (Fiji for $5.99/lb) will putting that in 3 days after the livesand and water affect the cycling of the tank at all?

Thanks in advance!

:D

1. I use it, I love it.

2. I use PC so no comment

3. It's fine start w/o the PHs

4. Yeah thats fine, if you follow the instructions you should get a salinity of about 1.023

5.It'll be fine the LR does the bulk of the cycling.

Originally posted by Dan_G25

1. I use it, I love it.

2. I use PC so no comment

3. It's fine start w/o the PHs

4. Yeah thats fine, if you follow the instructions you should get a salinity of about 1.023

5.It'll be fine the LR does the bulk of the cycling.

Yay! That's what I like to hear, now I dont have to put it off another day... thanks Dan!

Water's in, and I got impatient and went to PetSmart and picked up two ZooMed PowerSweep 228 powerheads, the auto-rotating ones. Also bought a Hydrometer.... looks like SG is just a hair under 1.022... thats about normal, right?

So, in my new 20 gallon I have 14 gallons of saltwater, 20 pounds of aragonite live sand, 2 powerheads pushing 270gph each, a 100watt heater, and the 250w MH.... off to a good start, I think! :)

Decided, I'm gonna go pick up around 20-25 pounds of live rock tomorrow after work. I can't wait for my new MH bulb to get here... this bulb looks so.... white!

Bump the SG up a couple of points. Most reefs have salinities in the 1.025-1.026 range. Other than that..sounds great (good on you for getting the powerheads early...it's not even a good idea to cure LR without water motion).

Cheers,

Fred

Archived