SaltCritters.com

Huge Anemone

cornstar

Hi Guys

I would just like to share some pics of my new Anemone, it is a Heteractis crispa ( often confused with a Heteractis magnifica).

My two Perculas love it!

Cheers

FREAKING HUGE. That's too big dude. Haha, You better pray that the thing is satisfied there and not ever move. That thing is awsome looking but damn. Hahaha. I would get something like that for like my 60 gallon FOWLR tank.

Huge i know. haha. Where i am in Western Australia, there is a barrier reef about 5 hours north, this is where the LFS can get all this cool stuff. I got this bad boy for A$99 (about $75 US). This species, if happy, will tend not to walk too much.

• 3 weeks later...

Too bad it was collected from the wild. I've heard they can live for hundreds of years in the wild but usually only a few in captivity. Moreover juveniles are less and less common in the wild.

I hate to break this to you be nearly every marine species that we attempt to keep lives longer and grows larger in the wild. Those types of anemones are very common and abundant off the shores of Western Australia.

I understand that alot of our pets for our reef tanks are wild caught. IMHO you should not directly support companies that catch things in the wild. Wild caught is a big NO NO in my book. I avoid all species that are wild caught not because of fear of dieases but because of the concept. The damage we inflict on our enviroment is overwelming. The last thing we need to do is take more things away from it. Please, when it is available, try to get you pets "tank raised" even if they cost more.

Oh yeah, that anemone looks great. It's huge. Are you concerned about the anemone running over corals? Won't the anemone sting near by corals? Has anyone observed this behavior of anemone vs. coral?

Cheers Kelpie.

I take my marine aquarium very seriously and do my best to ensure the water is "perfect" and that i provide the best conditions and requirements for each of my specimens.

P.

• 2 weeks later...

Peseidon: I know of three anemones off hand, that have been in captivity in the same tank formore than 12 years. One of which can be seen at Monford Aquariums on display on Colraine Avenue for any other Cincinnati reefers on here. (incase there is doubt you can go and see and ask about it for your self ;) )

Every marine specimen taken from our oceans have a reduced life span of more than 50 percent in captivity. This is the ruel of the game we play when we chose to keep them in captivity.

But we also have programs inplace as we speak to replenish certain species which dont propogate in the wild as often or as regular as others do.

Aside from the raping of the reef for LR there is no way we could ever deplete the ocean of wild ocean life by collecting specimens with such strick and highly enforce guidlines to follow.

( Excluding natural disasters and pollution ofcourse)

To make a long story short, how in the hell can you be on a marine REEF KEEPING website, own a reef your self, and be preaching about the depletion of animal life forms in the ocean?

Hipo- what?????????

LOL!!!!!!1

Thanks for the support Kogut and SaltyDawg

The anemone is doing really well, it eats a whole shrimp or small whitebait every secend day.

I have received a bit of flack from people here at Nano Reef for having this specimen.

I have a question for any of you guys living America. Are most the corals in the LFS over there tank raised from propagation and fraging? It is a genuine question, as this is the impression i get from people like Kelpie, Jade5051 and Poseidon.

I try to buy Aquacultured corals as much as I can. Infact, i just bought a FRAG of a Monti from my LFS's Display Reef. But there are corals that where wild caught and I will consider buying them if there is no Aquacultured corals available or if the aquacultured corals are just plain uggly ;)

I guess the reason I buy aquacultured is because it won't promote the takeing of corals from beautiful reefs

Cheers

He was walking around a little bit when i got him but he has attached himself to the back of the tank and is happy there. I keep him well fed so that he does'nt go looking for a better home :). If he went walking during the night he would cover most my other corals! It has not moved for over a month now.

Not the best pic, i was taken about an 2 hours after feeding so he is still a little contracted.

P.

Originally posted by cornstar

If he went walking during the night he would cover most my other corals!

See that would worry me too much.

Archived