Top Shelf Aquatics

Different Aproach

nanoid

I JUST BOUGHT A 12 GALLON ECLIPSE SYSTEM with 13w power compact light built in to be upgraded to a 32w retro fit eventually:

I have done allot of research and have come up with a plan but still would like some one with experience to clear up a few issues and hear some opinions since this will be my first salt water aquarium.

In order to spread out the amount of money i will need to spend over time i have come up with the following plan. (start with reef safe but fish only aquarium and eventually upgrade to reef)

Set up the system with the eclipse bio wheel running and 1"-2" of natures ocean "live" aragonite sand. Depending on how the cycle is going i may need to add a damsel.

After the tank is fully cycled I will add some clean up critters and maybe another fish or 2.

If all goes well after a few months then I will add another 2 inches of real Caribbean live sand and 12 lb of cured live Fiji rock.

Then upgrade my lights a few months later and add some corals and other critters.

Final goal:

I would like to have a 4" DSB (deep sand bed) system to help remove nitrate from the system. Does this work in such a small system or am I better off with a berlin system? If DSB is recommended, what is the best way to place the bottom of the rock; in, on, or above the sand? If above the sand then how do you recommend elevating it and how far above the surface of the sand do you recommend?

Last Question: I would like to avoid buying an RO/DI unit. I live in NYC could I use the tap water that has been though a faucet mounted brita water filter.

If not, is bottled water or distilled water recommended?

What do you think?

Thanks and good luck with your nano.

just use distilled imo. the brita isn't nearly sufficient for our needs. for nanos a 5~6 gallon water bottle on hand is plenty. red cap bottles (distilled), regular spring/bottled water is also not good enough imo.

setup: i'd skip the live sand in the beginning. you seem like you have the patience to let the system cycle. the sand will eventually get seeded from the LR. however don't skimp on the LR imo.

i'm not a advocate of dsb's so i'll skip that part. don't get me wrong, they absolutely work but i just don't agree with the absolute depth requirement of 4" or more.

overall it looks like a pretty good game plan though. ;)

I think 4" of sand is too much for an Eclipse 12. See if there's an NYC reef club you can join. Then you can get some non-live sand and some live sand to seed it. You're on the east coast; you should be able to find Southdown somewhere (cost is about $5/50 lb; save $2/lb on live sand). Based on what I've read here, I'd go with maybe 2" of sand, total, in the Eclipse 12.

Add the live rock before you add critters. By not buying the later 2" of live sand ($2/pound plus $$ shipping), you can afford the live rock sooner. AND you won't have to worry about the live rock causing another mini-cycle and maybe killing critters (save $$). Skip the damsel (save $4). By adding the live rock, you will introduce enough stuff to get the cycle going.

i was asked to clarify a bit on my post.

i don't think you need live sand at all. if you can get real live sand from an established tank that's different, go for it. otherwise imo you don't have to waste the $$$ on packaged LS, instead divert the money to premium LR. usually the LR is at least half of the reef picture anyway (aquascape-wise).

you can setup the entire tank with dry sand and let it become LS through gradual exposure to the LR. i prefer to use uncured in a new setup for more critters but if that's too messy cured rock is fine. the cycle is completed when test readings are optimal.

printerdown01

The sand will help minimize your cycle... so if it is at a decent price go for it... but you don't need it. I do like DSBs, but I have recently found a way to get away with shallower sand beds: small grain size. I have just started using oolitic aragonite sand ("oolite"). If you mix this stuff with another sand, a DSB could be a lot more like 1-2"!! Not to mention they stuff is REALLY fine, and bright white, which makes it look great in the tank! However, I would say hold off on setting up the tank until you can afford the LR. Adding a lot of rock to an established system is not a good idea, you will mess with the parameters, BIG TIME... I have seen it completely re-cycle tanks (crash). I would say, start-up the tank when you can afford to put 1+" of sand in plus at least 10lbs of rock... -I know that probably isn't what you wanted me to say, but I would be very afraid of you starting up a tank, slowly building it bit by bit, only to crash the system when you add the rock (and wiping out your fish :( ). This is not guaranteed to happen, but I would consider it highly probable... I agree with the two earlier posts, if you are strapped for $$ then skip the LS and just use the SMALLEST grain aragonite you can get a hold of and use the LR to seed your sand (instant LS), they cycle will take a bit longer (but I'm not sure cutting a week out of the cycle is a HUGE deal :P )...

**As for water, your local grocery store will probably sell bottled water that is actually RO/DI or at least RO :-D around here it costs less than a dollar a gallon (on sale), and about 50 cents at the LFS...

You have an advantage of living in a large city where you can find supplies pretty readily.

Get a bag of play sand from lowes or Home Depot. Poor it in a oven safe pan. Turn your oven on the highest setting even the cleaning setting if your oven has this feature. Sterilize the sand for about and hour. Do not add water or you will have a big hard brick of sand stone. Get new filter media to put in your stock filter system to remove dust in the water when you put the sand in the tank. Ok now combine the sand and water check your LFS they may sell RODI for about 50 cents per gallon. If not culligan may have a system set up in a local grocery store. Add salt to the tank. See if your LFS will sell you some of the sand out of their live rock tank or an established tank in the store. You only need a cup or so to seed the tank. Let the system run for a couple of days or until you have the money to buy some rock. Buy a couple of pounds of rock and add it to your tank when you can. Get a couple of hermit crabs so you will have something to watch. I wouldn't worry about the lights until you are closer to getting light dependant corals which will be several weeks if not months away. Add LR til you have the desired amount. Let it run for a week or so if your hermits don't die then try a damnsel (notice spelling). Now you have a nice tank on a small budget Like mine. I am so cheap I bought a couple of 13w shop lights at Lowes for my lights and then got 2 combo bulbs from hellolights. The lights came with 6400k bulbs so I used them until I started putting green line shrooms in and wanted to see the iridesent colors. Have fun!!! Part of the joy of my nano is I have so little money it it less than $150 over 2 months. I spend $30 every two weeks on my tank and save up for anything over $30. I am now saving for a coral pack from Coral City or maybe GARF I have not decided. Sorry for the long post I hope this helps.

Live rock before live stock, I like the DSB both the thinking and the experience, use small grain(more bang for your buck). Buy rodi water from a lfs or use distilled water. Don't screw with the brita filter. good luck take it slow.;)

Archived