SaltCritters.com

nano-cube filter

bjn

Hello All!

Brand new here, but have been in the hobby for many years and back in the eighties started "NanoReefing" in 10 gallon tanks long before it was a common term and in those days was almost a "taboo" thing to do if you asked pretty much anyone at the random LFS...so number one, Im excited that not only is the feasability of such tanks better understood these days, but that they can be extremely succesful, and number two...I look forward to participating in some of these discussions.....so lets get on with it...

I am aware that the "instructions from the box" which the jbj nano's come in say to remove the ceramic rings and bio balls for reef tanks without further explanation/justification - it further seems that most folks present in these forums tend to agree with the notion referencing "natrate problems" as the causative issue. I believe JBJ started out as a light fixtures company (and not reef tank experts) SO is this a case of the blind leading the "easily agreeable and misinformed blind" or am I missing somthing here?...and if so can someone please explain why the rings/balls would be remotely related to a Nitrate issue....thanks!!!

In advance, the one explanation Ive heard is that if you leave in the other media, it takes away from "the live rock working as the primary filter" and I dont agree so hence my question and am looking forward to the wisdom found on these posts

The Empiricyst

Welcome to nano-reef.com! So you're stuck in Dallas with a bunch of lame fish stores too, huh? The only good store I've really seen seems to be Saltwater Paradise in Irving. There's the decent but small "Aquarium Trading Company" in Coppell too... dingy store with two knowledgable guys running it and some pretty healthy coral.

I'm sure you already figured out this was the wrong forum for your topic, but we all make that mistake once or twice. I think your questions were answered elsewhere, but for the record I tossed everything out of the back of my nanocube with the exception of carbon in the bottom of compartment 2. I leave the dirty work up to my live sand and rock, and if I ever make a big cloudy mess of the sand, I'll temporarily stick a sponge in the back to clear it out faster. All those ceramic rings and crap are just nitrate factories, as I'm sure you've heard by now! They just gather food and all this particulate matter and it rots inside them creating ammonia, which turns into nitrates. Oh, another advantage of my setup is that it lets plankton flow through the system without getting stuck in filtration, which is great for corals and other concerned parties.

P.S. if you've still got all that media in your system, don't remove it all at once, that could start your cycle all over! Remove a bio-ball or two once every 5-7 days or the ceramic rings one week etc... 1 sponge at a time. IF you aren't far along in the cycle at all, you might save some time by ripping it all out as long as you don't have any inhabitants that are bound to suffer.

Hope this helps and hope to see you around.

Originally posted by The Empiricyst

Welcome to nano-reef.com! So you're stuck in Dallas with a bunch of lame fish stores too, huh? The only good store I've really seen seems to be Saltwater Paradise in Irving. There's the decent but small "Aquarium Trading Company" in Coppell too... dingy store with two knowledgable guys running it and some pretty healthy coral.

I'm sure you already figured out this was the wrong forum for your topic, but we all make that mistake once or twice. I think your questions were answered elsewhere, but for the record I tossed everything out of the back of my nanocube with the exception of carbon in the bottom of compartment 2. I leave the dirty work up to my live sand and rock, and if I ever make a big cloudy mess of the sand, I'll temporarily stick a sponge in the back to clear it out faster. All those ceramic rings and crap are just nitrate factories, as I'm sure you've heard by now! They just gather food and all this particulate matter and it rots inside them creating ammonia, which turns into nitrates. Oh, another advantage of my setup is that it lets plankton flow through the system without getting stuck in filtration, which is great for corals and other concerned parties.

P.S. if you've still got all that media in your system, don't remove it all at once, that could start your cycle all over! Remove a bio-ball or two once every 5-7 days or the ceramic rings one week etc... 1 sponge at a time. IF you aren't far along in the cycle at all, you might save some time by ripping it all out as long as you don't have any inhabitants that are bound to suffer.

Hope this helps and hope to see you around.

i do the exact same thing, i also have a Rio 600 in place of the stock.

Also that is good info on the takin the junk out. my cube didnt come with instructions, so i had everything in there for like two months. needless to say, i took it out slowly. i cant say i dont have probs with trates, but i KNOW its not that build up of crap in the back compartments.

Archived