Top Shelf Aquatics

Are the Nano Cube DX's "Junk"?

cj_basser

hey guys. im looking for the new nano cube Deluxe and aftera lengthy phone call to my LFS (Petland) they said that the nano cube and the deluxe model was junk. i have never had one, but i know alot of you guys have had one or does have one. what do you all think of the nano cube Deluxe?

What did they try to sell you instead? Bet it was twice as much money huh.

the nano cube is a good tank to get your feet into reefing with. if you don't feel you like it then you can get out without loosing tooo much money and the cube is easy to resale without loosing too much money on. When I started out I wish I would have gone a different route but hey you never know how far you will go with a new hobby.

Nanocubes come without skimming and without adequate lighting, but both can be remedied through modifications. Other than that, it's a great little all-in-one setup that looks pretty slick. Plus, the canopy helps mitigate salt creep and water loss.

Originally posted by Choson1

Nanocubes come without skimming and without adequate lighting, but both can be remedied through modifications. Other than that, it's a great little all-in-one setup that looks pretty slick. Plus, the canopy helps mitigate salt creep and water loss.

Actually alot of the experts in nano aquaria have been going skimmerless with great success since the pioneer days of the nano (patch) reef. The new cubes have the adjustible nozzle whitch gives decent surface movement anyways. And if you stay up on water changes (like weekly) you really would be throwing money away IMO.

As for the lighting on the new cubes they have what 48 watts of light whitch can keep all softies and MOST lps not to mention anemones alive. the growth on these animals may not be insane like as if you had metal halide but you can keep most anything but sps. Hell Dr. Ellen Thaler has had nano reefs sitting on her window sills for years with no lights but the good old sun.

Nano-cubes are definitely not junk.

You ought to check out the thread here on the General Discussion forum entitled "Which Nano". Should give you alot of insight.

I agree whole-heartedly with everything that ebin has just said above.

Joe Mac

Don't let Joe Mac fool you.. They are junk.. Just kidding.. Opinions are like A******ES, everyones got one...

Its all personal preference. Those that are looking for the all in one usually love the nanocube, those that dont hate it..

I love my cube(s) and think that for beginners and intermediate reefkeepers, they make a great solution..

Chris

Yeah I think my nanocube dx is a good investment since it teaches you what you're capabale of (and what you can get away with in a dorm hehe). I still plan on getting halides and a bigger tank, but I just wanted to see if it was possible to keep a reef away from home. Heck I have a 55G with halides at home, so this may seem like a "downgrade" but heck its frikkin fun!

It all depends.

I would say start with something else, and customize it to your specs.

Nano cubes are ok, but only so much can be done with one. After that, they're kind of limitting.

Of course, if your place is to stick to soft corals and LPS, the cube would be fine. But most people have the taste to upgrade their tanks.

Archived