Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pirate Blenny and Neon Eviota confirmation?

The Empiricyst

The Empiricyst

There are two fish that have really caught my eye, and they're both obscure as can be. Next to no information on them. I've done tons of search time on both of them to little satisfaction. I wanted to see if anybody could verify that these are the fish they claim to be OR if anyone guessed they were something else.

First, the pirate blenny, or emblemaria piratula. I found one image in a reliable reference book, but it was drawing, not photo, and it was just kind of sand colored, not sexy and blue. Hmmm... this image was in Coral magazine's issue 2 about nano tanks, and I fell in love. :blush:

(image from coral magazine)

The Empiricyst

Next, the so called Neon Eviota (Eviota sp.) which turns up zero results on google basically. With the exception of the place I ordered the guy from, Drs. Foster & Smith's liveaquaria.com. Which is disturbing but possibly an actual indication of just how unusual or rare these guys are, since they were bought from the "collector's corner". I'm a little skeptical, and have already ordered four since they are supposed to group. One has gotten here so far.

Any information would be very much appreciated!

p_89415.jpg

By the way, in genusy-phylumy namey things, what's "SP" and why do I see it frequently? Subphylum yet to be named?

RandomLetters

I believe SP stands for species,Generic term. It's not that it hasnt been named yet, but they probibly didnt know it :)

Sorry I couldnt be more help.

Hi there,

I can't really help you on the identity of the fish. Have you checked out fishbase or had a quick scan of Goby Frontiers?

http://www.fishbase.org/search.cfm

http://uri.sakura.ne.jp/~dd/g/einfn1.htm

I can help with the Latin stuff however. :)

Take Emblemaria piratula for example. Emblemaria is the genus name and always starts with a capital letter. piratula is the species name and always starts with a little letter. If a fish is listed as Emblemaria sp. then the exact species is not known but the genus is. Does that help at all?

Best regards

Ann

The Empiricyst

Thanks ann, following finds on the sakura.ne page I had never found before I found one positive image of my guy from a german page! It can be translated through google or babblefish. New confusion ensues however... the german page identifies it as Eviota bifasciata, which turns up a similar, but seemingly not identical fish.

Does anyone think these could be the same fish??

This positively looks like my guy, though mine is much younger:

03_evio_bifasciata12.jpg

And then most Eviota bifasciata images look like these:

g242a.jpg

oyogiiso.jpg

That second image was labled White-line pygmy goby by the sakura.ne page.

Can anyone help? ???

Archived