Coral Vue Hydros

What about the weed ...

nano neophyte

nano neophyte

An opportunity has presented itself whereby I can have a good 60 pounds or more of decent, established live rock to use in my soon to be started 120G reef. I could use this as foundation rock and purchase the remaining rock I require.

My question:

This tank has aiptasia .. probably at least one on most of these rock. There's also a patch of hair algae on a rock or two.

Now I'm not a wealthy guy .. this is quite the opportunity for me .. but is it just plain not worth it to start a tank out with these weeds right off the bat .. or should I take em and do my best to control the weeds. What would you do?

Its free rock... take it.. why does everyone complain about some minor issues? scrubb the LR with a Potato Brush.. no more Hair alga. Aiptasia, leve them to starve. They will die. If they dont, blast them with kalkwasser in a pippette. no more anemone.

nano neophyte

Thanks Dave for your thoughts ... I do appreciate your opinion .. but I've done enough reading on the various boards to notice that not everyone seems to feel that ridding your tank of either aiptasia or hair algae is so simple. Many people report having their tank overrun with these guys in no time at all. If it was so simple to manage, why do so many people seem to act like it's such a pita? Maybe it's cause I'm a newbie .. but I can't help but be concerned about it. Am I alone here?

I wouldn't worry about the algae. Strip it off if you like, but you're gonna get that anyhow as your tank matures. As for the aiptasia, you're tank is going to be cycling for a while. Therefore, it will be unstocked and unfed... starving aiptasia.

I've never had a problem with aiptasia myself. Have a few, they usually don't bother anyone. If they do, I blast the suckers with kalk, problem solved. I wouldn't pass up free liverock over something that you'll probably get anyway if you were to purchase the rock.

If your aiptasia survives after the cycling, just get some type of invert or fish that eats it. I heard that peppermint shrimp will eat the smaller pieces, and some species of wrasse will devour it all.

Hope that helps.

printerdown01

If you don't mind having a peppermint shrimp in your tank for about 6 months (in order to ensure that the aptasia won't grow back) go for it. Just remember that this means being selective with your coral choices (no yellow polyps for you!). lol. The hair won't be a problem it will die-off durring cycle. But the aptasia will NOT. They survive cycles as if it was frat party: nothing but a minor hang over... Anyone who has had aptasia will tell you that they are NOT easy to get rid of, no matter what method you use! I would take it... but then again I don't mind having the pepp... however, I'm not going to lie to you it IS difficult to get rid of aptasia (I have had my tank over a year, and am still fighting the little buggers!). So if you don't want to mess with it... SKIP IT....

Okay I have a truly crazy idea, what if you put in a whole bunch of scientific grade ammonia in the tank. I've done it in smaller amounts to do a fishless cycle. it won't kill the bacteria that needs amonia, but it will kill other inhabitants. I don't know it it will kill what you want to kill, but others should know.

take the rock or ship it up to me! free is good, free is nice, free is FREE! 60# x $5.00/lb = $300+

dump it in and get a peppermint to tackle the aiptasia. the hair can be taken care of by blue-leg hermits.

Take the rock. Let it cycle. Add crabs and/or turbos to take care of the rest of the algae. Add peppermint shrimp to take care of the aiptasia. Want yellow polyps? Wait 'til the aiptasia's gone, then put the pep. shrimp in a refugium.

I like to feed aiptasia boiling water. hehehehe

Take the dang rock! Free is good! If someone would give me 60lbs of rock I'd be in heaven.

Christopher Marks

If you've completely scrubbed off all the hair algae, it shouldn't come back if it has nothing to feed off of in the new tank to encourage it's growth. It's definately worth the hassle! :)

my god take the rock, ike everyone said dont worry about the aptasia, get a peppermint shrimp or a copperband butterfly they love to eat em, among other things...LOL.

There is NO WAY you should use that rock!!!!! You'll have problems with your tank forever. Your tank will be doomed from the start!!!!!!!!!!

I might be able to find a use for it somewhere if you'd like to send me the details - just as a special favour to you of course as a fellow nanoreefer.

nano neophyte

:D You guys crack me up ...

Thanks for your varied thoughts on my "problem." I think I like this option the best ...

"... you could just have the first all aiptasia and hair algae tank"

Clearly, most of you seasoned reefers agree that I should give wiping em' out a shot ... I'm going to do just that. I think what I'll do is put em' in a couple rubbermaids with lights and work em' over for a while with k'wasser and red hot Plutonium. I'll let you know how I fair.

Thanks for the input ... I know my questions are pretty remedial .. but I am still WAY new at this. I really do appreciate your taking the time to field newbie questions.

DogfacePuffer

Take the rock and use it for a mini Zen garden. Break it up and use it as "mountains" and some nice left over sand as the waves/ripples for the backdrop.

I don't think you would want to start your tank out with such problem rock. It might explode into something mutant.

Go with the solid advice about your rock.

Archived