Cultivated Reef

Setup for a New Reef Tank

freshwater

This is my first post on this forum.

I am planning to start setting up my first Reef tank.

I already have 30GH and 5G fresh water tanks.

I have seen lots of posts and read quite few articles and finally come with the following setup. So please help me out with any suggestions you have.

I like to put 30-45lb LR, 20 lb LS, Marine land salt mix , Cleaning crew, Corals(soft, SPS) and Fishes.(Tangs)

I am still debating to go with 29G or 20G. They both are 30"Long but the 29g is 19" high and may have problem with the lightning reaching the bottom of the tank. I am planning to get 2x55 watts PC from AH supply with the hood sitting on the glass. Do you think this is enough lights to reach the bottom for corals growth or should I go with 20g which is <15" in hight.

I will be adding 2 power zoom power head 160gph. 1 proquatics HOB filter, 1 100W thermometer proquatics, Prizim protien skimmer HOB.

My questions?

1) How much LR and what kind (gulfview coraline 30lb/$129 shipping included, or 45lb fiji / $85 from fishexpress +$65 for next day shipping).

2) LS what type. The sand at homedepot in chicago is kind of Brown, I was thinking to mix white sand and some live sand from gulfview. How to get white sand cheap. Petland is selling white sand 20lb for $27. I think its too much).

3) what is blast technology and what it do. I have order 2x55 watts kit with blast and bulbs. 1 bulb is 10000K and the other is intrinsic blue.

4)when I put sand, water, rocks how long I have to wait to put the cleaning crew, Corals and fish. I like to know the order and the time things goes IN to the tank.

Can I put sand,water,rocks and cleaning crew at the same time?

5) where to get the cleaning crew from. cheap.

6) Can I put Tangs in my reef tank with the cleaning crew.

7) how you attached corals to the reef, i have read by using a super glue is that true. does some one has bought corals frags from coraldynamics . 7 for $72 deal. any better place to buy corals.

I started my freshwater aquariums with only $50 and end up spending $500 so far in 2 months. It looks to me Saltwater is going to cost me more then $700 in a month. The way the economy is going today with layoffs its very very scarry.

so folks take a shot at me so that I can start my reefing.

Thanks.

First off, a 20-30g tank is a bit small for tangs. I would suggest looking into more nano-friendly fish (clowns, firefish, cardinals, damsels...). For corals, I think you mean softies & LPS (most SPS will require more light than you're planning).

Sand: I'm guessing your HD doesn't carry Southdown. You can use the brownish playsand they carry but, well... it's brown. Aragonite sand from a LFS is the other option if you want white sand, but it's spendy. You can seed this with bought livesand, or a scoop from someone else's established tank.

Liverock: At least 1lb/g (1.5lbs/g would be even better). Carribean rock (ala Gulfview) is great for hitchikers. You'll get all kinds of free goodies with that rock. Fiji, although not as loaded, looks nicer IMO. It's lighter and more pourous, making for a better bio-filter. Also because of the rock's respective densities, 30lbs fiji will fill your tank out a lot more than an equal amount of Carribean. Either way really, it's your choice.

Stocking: you'll have to move much slower than it sounds like you're ready to. Hunt down some old threads here for more info, this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. Here's the quick version: Set up your tank (lights, water, rock, sand, circulation) and let it cycle. Be patient. Let Am & nitrites bottom out. Let some algae take hold.... slowly add your cleanup crew. Wait some more. Add a fish. Wait some more. Add another. You have to take your time stocking to allow your rock's bacteria population to adjust and keep up with the added waste. Last thing to go in are corals, as they're the most sensative.

Lighting: 2x55w is good lighting for a 20g for softies and LPS. I have no clue what blast technology is.

A good place to get your cleanup crew is www.etropicals.com The Built For You Reef Special is great. $60 worth of stuff w/ free shipping. However by adding these guys all at once, you run the risk of having them gobble up all the algea, then starving. I'd rather get them locally so you can add them slowly.

I think that about covers it :) Hope it helps.

Thanks satchmo for your reply. the site you mention is good for

cleaning crew. Also atleast I got some idea of how things goes in the tank timewise. :)

Go with the 29g. That gives you the tank height to do a deep sand bed.

Lighting: no comment; I don't do sps...

Live rock: you can drive over to Harbor Aquatics in northern Indianna and pick out very coralline-covered pieces for about $4 a pound. Bring a 5g bucket with you, and bring the rock home covered for zero die-off. That's what I did, and I live about 20 minutes from you. But if you want to order from Gulf-view, let me know...I could use another few pounds.

Sand: get some dry aragonite, and I'll give you a cup of live sand to seed yours. Free bristleworms included.

> Petland is selling white sand 20lb for $27. I think its too much.

Is it aragonite? Which Petland?

> Can I put sand,water,rocks and cleaning crew at the same time?

Nope. Sand and rocks first with the water, then wait until it cycles. With good rock, that might be as little as two weeks.

> where to get the cleaning crew from. cheap.

E-tropicals. Please ping me when you want to order; I could use a few more critters, but can't get a $60 order together.

>Can I put Tangs in my reef tank with the cleaning crew.

Sorry, no tangs in a nano...they need a tank at least 4' long to swim around in.

gobies thanks for your help.

I am still thinking between 30lb Coraline from gulf-view for $130

or 45lb fiji from fishexpress ($85 + $65 shipping). OR drive to northern Indiana as you mention and get some LR from there for

$4/lb. how far from naperville.

I will let you know about the LR, LS and the cleaning crew.

the petland is in Naperville off hwy59 in the SAMS parking lot.

This white sand is from the beaches around the world but NOT

aragonite and not LIVE. They do have live sand in a bag and aragonite in a bag also. They have yellow tang for sale 19.99 med to big sizes. And buy one get other fish free deals. just in case you are intrested.:)

www.harboraquatics.com

When you get to the page with the pic on the right and the menu on the left, scroll down the menu until you get to the "Visitors Welcome" item and then click on that. Click on the "Directions" link to get to the page with a map and their address. Then go to maps.yahoo.com for directions... Call before you head over so they know you're coming. Takes us about an hour, maybe 90 minutes -- totally depending on traffic!! -- to get there from Darien.

Archived