Innovative Marine Aquariums

frogspawn vs. sponge

chufa

I have a frogspawn that has started to decline a bit al of a sudden after a small sponge right underneath it died.

Can a frogspawn sting a sponge? And would the sponge have released some sort of toxic secondary metabolite as a result? This would be my best explanation, as everything else is fine in my tank.

printerdown01

Some sponges do hold toxins, in fact several spp of nudibranchia store the poisons that they intake from the sponges, and use them as a defense against predators. Sooo, do I think it is possible, that the euphillia stung the sponge, killing the sponge, and forcing it to release toxins, which could have done some damage to the coral, yes... But not likely... I would be more inclined to believe that something is wrong with the system which caused the sponge and the euphillia to die... ??? Do you have any other corals in the tank, especially other euphillia?? Since toxins are released into the water, if it killed the frogspawn, it would have killed others... Unlike a sting which only affects things around the culprit...

Thanks. I have just one more coral, a colony of GSP. It is doing fine. The frog is looking better now. The sponge has now completely dissolved. Other sponges (encrusted sponges) are fine too.

wulffenstein

Frogspawns (as well as euphilla) are senstive to nitrate. My guess is that the dying sponge cause a nitrate rise which bothered the frogspawn. I would be intrested if you have tested and what you came up with.

As far as the frogspawn stinging things. They are known to have sweeper tentacles. You need to give them space. Also reducing the current they are exposed to can help.

Thanks. Nitrate is about 20 ppm. The frogspawn has plenty of space...as far as the only other coral (GSP) is concerned. Sponges and other lifeforms are all over my rocks, so it is impossible to isolate the frogspawn completely, unless I take the live rock out! ???

wulffenstein

That is higher nitrate then I am comfortable with. Anything over 5 ppm is high for me. I would do a water change. If you don't skim. Do them weekly.

I wouldn't isolate your frogspawn, but just give it space.

Archived