Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Got a new frag!

Smokin-Reefer

Smokin-Reefer

Picked up this baby for just a little over 20 bucks. Looks to me like the frag tank he was in had some wicked flow, kinda hard to tell from the crappy pic. Did I get a decent deal? This guy's pretty sweet.

what do you think?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

depends...how big is this guy? and is it hard to find nice SPS in nebraska? I'm assuming it is (but of course I could be wrong). It probably is a good find relative to your location then.

Smokin-Reefer

Well, SPS is non existent where I live, and have to drive 50 minutes to get somewhere that sells it. They are usually overpriced. They seem to have some pretty nice stuff once in a while, but I'm still waiting on my halide for xmas to start trying to get some really colorful stuff. You can't really go wrong with a 4" m. digi for 20 bucks can you? Hell, I can't even get 4 shrooms for under $30 in my city! I took some more quick shots of it for ya dennis.

Nice !!! You got a SLAM"N GOOD DEAL!!! Thats an orange, Or a brown (cant tell by the pic) Monipora Digitata. Nice big frag for a low price!!!!!!!!!

I have an orange M.Digitata (orange sunburst is the name from ORA, I believe). I got him at about 1.5 inches long, and now he is roughly 5 inches in diameter with tons of new branches in about 6 months or so. Good deal, most sps run anywhere from $29.99 upwards for frags that size.

Smokin-Reefer

currently, I'm running 3x75w VHO w/ IC 660, was using 110w pc. My 250w 14k retro will be here on friday.

*sings*

I'm dreaming of a BRIGHT christmas....the kind my tank's never, ever haaaaaadddd.

haha. Thanks guys!

Tigah-Definatly!

Just be sure to aclimate your corals to the MH very slowly or they may bleach out. Turn them on for like 4hrs a day or somthing for like a week then increase gradually. Dont worry because it isnt always sunny in the tropics. ( meaning the sun cant shine all the time and they wont die off on ya.)

Smokin-Reefer

Well, Halide came today! WOO HOO! I'm super excited!

Going to menards tonight to get some wood, and some window screen, thats how I plan to acclimate my tank to the halide.

Thanks for the suggestion salty.

I'll start a new thread so you guys can check it out.

Smokin-Reefer

ok, just fired 'er up, and I noticed, the bulb smells a little hot, you know that "hot" smell, kinda like a space heater...is that something to worry about?

You DID wipe the bulb off for finger prit before you fired it up right? Oils from your sking can acutaly burn like your describing and in some cases burst the bulb. But more than likely it is just the bulb burning in. Or you have it to close to the canopy? The window screen? The wood? WAcky combo by the way but a good theory. screen to difuse the light I mean.

Smokin-Reefer

the bulb has only been on about 4 times, a couple minutes each time. I just mounted the mogul to the reflector. I'm making the hood today, so then it will all be mounted up. I was planning on also having 2x75w actinic vhos off of my ic660, but the bulb is so damn blue, I don't think it would be very good. I know eyeballs are a bad indicator of light intensity, but 14k bulbs don't really seem all that bright....I'll have to wait until its been on a few weeks to tell if its what I like or not.... I might have to add vho daylight (OH THE HORROR!).

I have a 1/2" spacer on the back of the reflector so that should be plenty of buffer space for air to circulate.

Wacky combo? I guess I don't know what you mean salty.... I'll post pics this afternoon for you all.

Hope everyone had a merry xmas!

Smokin-Reefer

Blue is in the eye of the beholder, friend. I truly hope it gets a little whiter than it is right now...The longest the bulb was on, at any given point, was about 5 minutes. The bulb may need even more time than that to 'warm up'. It was so blue, that things were flourescing (sp?) in my basement when I tested it! And to think, I was conviced I was going to order a 20K bulb for about 3 months now, and changed my mind to 14K at the last minute....I'm glad I did....but I'm still not sure I made the right decision.

Dennis, I'm ordering my ES5-2 tommorow, IM SO EXCITED!

lolz

They take a few weeks to fully burn in tho. So they will be way lighter 3 weeks from now. So there's still hope yet!

Man...going all out w/ the euro, huh? That's a crazy expensive skimmer. When I upgrade to my 67g, I don't think I'm even gonna upgrade to a euro-reef. Nice buy, your tank should love u for it.

Archived