Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Converting 20gl fresh to salt?

pastelball

What all needs to be done to change a 20 gl fresh to salt?

We have a tank just sitting and have been looking to do reef.

Any help would be great. I know if we go to the local store they will try to sell everything under the sun to us.

Thanks

Kevin

Basics: Filtration, maybe you can get a AquaClear powerfilter. Your going to need a heater. Powerhead(s). Saltwater, Live sand(maybe 29 pounds) and about 20 to 30 pounds of LR. The lights can be tricky. If you are going to get high end corals then I suggest MH. But if you plan to use soft coral then maybe a 130W PC'S. MH are awsome though. It also depends on your budget. MH is a bit more than PC's. Then you got your little things like Thermometer.

What would have to be done if we go get a 20 gl or so that is prepackaged at are local store? They usually have the filter, lighting, heating and stuff like that. I know we would have to get salt and lr and ls. We have been looking at the 12 gl nano cube what is everyones thought on that? I have seen some post on here about them also.

If your LFS is the same as mine then I dont recomend getting those pre packaged deals. What happens most of the time, they sell you tanks that have very cheap filtration system for like freshwater fish. I think they are called under gravel filters. Those are no good for saltwater. Now the Nano cubes can be somewhat cool because it's somewhat of a connect and play kind of thing. You might want to look into that.

Ok well if comes with that AC power filter then I guess it will be ok. Your just gonna have to upgrade the lights most likely. Now that cube looks pretty good for that price.

Angel Higuera

Also....since your converting, what type/brands of equpiment do you have left over?.

I would keep your 20g. Here is a nice link on setting it up and what you will need: http://aquarium.union.rpi.edu/setup.html

It's pretty much str8 forword but if you want to keep corals you will need very good lighting.

Hope this helps.

Archived