Pod Your Reef

What corals?

Keng Yew, Leong

Keng Yew, Leong

I have a 4 gallon tank with 11watt pc lighting.Can i accomadate any corals?The tank isnt deep(11inches).If I can put any corals do i have to feed them with anything.The tank now has 2 clowns and 2 damsels with 3.5 kg of live rock and 2 feather dusters.

i'd recommend pseudo-corals first. mushrooms (discosma & rhodactis) and zoanthids (button), because they're hardier. your tank's pretty crowded although it may be running perfectly. also your light is a little on the low side imo. (5W+ per gallon)

my concern is that corals are much more sensitive and i wouldn't want you to buy an expensive animal without 'testing' your system with a cheap and easily replenishable animal, like the ones above. ;)

btw, 11cm is really short! my 36 oz. pico is around that, with substrate included! are you sure of your dimensions?

Keng Yew, Leong

Its 11 inches sorry, I think I can give those corals a try cos in my country,if you convert my currency to US$ a coral would be less than 10$.Hoping for replies.

i keep forgetting i don't live in a tropical climate. :*(

upgrade your lights (double 22w or triple 33w) and you could go for xenia or colored zoanthids or maybe ricordia shrooms. green star polyps are also nice and colorful. i'm assuming you want movement and color versus growth (colt corals).

i'd avoid stonys but some medium light lps could go well with the clowns. just more difficult in such a small system imo but i don't know what kind of experience you have with reefs.

DogfacePuffer

Yes u can start with mushrooms and polyps, the low light stuff first if u r going with the lighting u have. But in the long run, the colors will be quite dull.

Your bioload might be a little too much for the 4 gallon. I won't recommend more than 2 fish for the type of tank size u have right now...

Mushrooms and polyps, agreed.

However, I think 1 fish would be too much for that setup, much less 2 or 4, unless you can find a VERY light-eater, like the tiny gobies.

Nutrient levels are going to be incredibly difficult to control with that many fish in there.

Archived