ReefCleaners.org

new live rock - suggestions?

scottj2

Angel Higuera

Not enough depth. How much space is behind the rockwall? I think you should give it a "cove " effect. I dont see many ledges for your corals. And what is that american flag thing in the upper left corner? try to get that out.

There is absolutely no depth behind the rock wall. By cove, do you mean I should curve the rock to give a U shape? The american flag thing is actually an old credit card I'm temporarily using to block the skimmer. I made an overflow and have some live rock rubble in the back compartment with my heater. I found the overflow helps alot.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

11106DSCN0159-

When I got the rock, it was literally one huge rock that I had to chisel down into like 4 or 5 pieces. I got it from premium aquatics. I placed an order for nano rock, but they accidentally sent me this. They gave me store credit for the misunderstanding though..nice people. Should I try to put more in the back compartment? Its hard to choose because there's so much nice life on the rocks. Feather dusters are popping up everywhere.

Angel Higuera

Wite2nr has a good point.

Yeah...make a U shape with ledges. This will be good for your corals. I 'm not sure but I think that CC can possibly pollute the water over time. Is that a Fire shrimp in there?

Originally posted by MiniReefin

looks like a pile off rocks in the back of a glass box.

sorry :(

Dont be sorry...I'm a complete newbie...I need constructive criticism. :) Thats a peppermint shrimp in there. He loves to hide behind the rock until the light goes out, then he lets loose. Pretty funny to watch.

chop 5 and 2

just think of places where you can put corals, think of where you buy, and what size the rocks are( with corals on them).

you might make it, with what you have if you get SMALL frags.

Undertheradar

If you take #5, pivot it outwards, leaving the right side in place on top rock #4, but the left end of #5 sits on the sand in front, you will get nice depth and more places to mount corals. I agree with minireefin that #5 needs some work, but I actually like #2 and the rest. Pretty much just removing #5, putting it up front, or breaking it up and placing in each front corner would be great. The rest looks good.

Ok, I took some advice and moved some rock around. I think it's a big improvment, but I'm still not satisfied. Comments? I encourage criticism....

11106rockwork3.JPG

11106rockwork2.JPG

11106rockwork1.JPG

Archived