Top Shelf Aquatics

Inches of fish

Fritzy

Oh yea I was too busy telling you what crap those theorys were! sorry I say 4 is a good start and see how your tank does with it. you can tell when your bioload is too much.

i would say MAYBE four 3" to 4" , but thats prolly pushin it.

i dont know, i got three in my cube, but not for much longer.

im kinda parinoid bout the "police" yellin at me.

OH MY GOD YOU TWO LOL!!!

you cant keep 4 tangs in a 20 gallon tank. not evenwith no rock no substrate and no inverts. The sump would have to be the same size as the tank and the filtration in the sump would have to be tremendous. It can be done short term no problem but would quickly deteriorate your ecosystem in a BIG WAY.

Now if your talking damsels or clowns or somthing like that then yeah .......load it up with around 8 damsels or so as long as they dont get more then 4 inches a peice your good. But tangs get up to 8 inches long man. You have to take into consideration the maximum adult fish size as well as their eating habbits as in are thery a messy eater that will leave waste behind? ( no tangs arent but that was bassed on their specific needs and adult size.)

Well im very new to nano reefing and this is very different then freshwater so im doing a lot of reseearch...didnt know that the inches of fish didnt work on marine. Ya learn something every day i guess. I was really looking foward to 2 occerlious clownfiah and maybe a goby and a jawfish. Im not sure of the exact names though.

inches per gallon doesnt work for saltwater like it COULD work for freshwater b/c while freshwater fish have to deal w/ constant fluctuations in water parameters in nature, saltwater fish enjoy very stable and constant water parameters. Why? b/c they live in the largest freakin tank on the planet and all that water volume equals stability.

So wastes produced by 5 tangs in a 10g will yield obvious increases in ammonia (fish wastes)...but throw the same 5 tangs in a 500 gallon and the same amount of waste will have very minimal impact on the ammonia levels since it will be diluted much more (less concentrated) in 500g of water.

The 2 above taken together = inch per gallon rule just doesn't work.

I had a chiclid that would not die when i was young. man that guy sure was tough. had the tank for like 2 years mabey changed the water once and it was 100% water change and filled the tank up with hose water. wish corals were that easy lol

Archived