SaltCritters.com

question about zoos

shanebeall

i just setup my tank about a month and a half, two months ago, and last night i just got my first coral. i got a piece of rock covered in zooanthids. it's doing great in my tank, and one polyp has already stretched and grabbed onto another rock. is it normal for this to happen this quickly? the polyp that has stretched is held to the rock that i just got by a pink fleshy thing, which has grown to hold onto my base rock in the tank. the polyp is functioning (opening and close) like all the other polyps.

my other question: my algae (lawnmower?) blenny is really liking the zooanthids. he sits in front of them, and occasionally brushes against them. this causes the polyps to close up, and then they open again in a second. will this be a problem in the future (for the corals or the blenny?), or is it all right for him to be rubbing against them every now and then.

any insight at all would be helpful. im concerned about the polyp moving so quickly, as i've read it sometimes can take 6 months for zooanthids to get settled into the tank. i'll post a picture in a few days when i get more batteries for my camera.

If it has spread onto another rock in only one day you are going to make a fricking fortune fragging them out!!!!!!!

It is perfectly normal and wont bother your zoo's in the lest bit or the blenny for him to sit directly on top of them or brush up against them from time to time or every night for that matter.

It's definately attached already. I tried to move the rock a little a second ago, and it's holding on. Not very strongly, but I didn't want to break it. Also, the lights have gone out, I like to sit and watch all the polyps close. Once they are closed, you can see the parts of the rock they aren't on. Out of one of the parts comes a black and white striped worm thing! Really really really tiny! I mean...I wouldn't have noticed it but it grabbed a white thing chunk and was waving it around! Then it got scared, and went back in. This is totally sweet. Hopefully it's a good thing. This is my first saltwater tank...I love all the activity! I've got a freshwater tank, but I don't think it is nearly as interesting. Any idea what this worm thing could be?

Well look closely at it the next time you see it. Make note of whether or not it extends a hmm,,,,,,, how do i Put this?

a white circular featherduster like thing from its mouth to grab what erver it is eating. If it does then it is a juvenile peanut worm . If not then it is probably a tiny blrittle star fish.

Either way both are reef safe and beneficial to have.

Archived