Cultivated Reef

What is this stuff?

cruizer

What is this brown stuff that grows all over my tank? This gets cleaned out every week! The pics in the tank are a 1 week build-up. The refuge is about 3 weeks buildup. It won't stop, it grows and grows. I have been having this problem since about July. I started the tank in June. I'm tired of cleaning this crap every week!

Looks like Cyano to me too. The algae you have in your fuge dosen't look like it is doing it's job. Get ahold of some Chaeto. You might also.

1. Increase flow, maybe get another powerhead to avoid any dead spots.

2. Do more frequent smaller water changes.

1 tablet of freshwater Maracyn will get rid of it almost instantly, but you need to figure out the reason why it is there, or it will continue to come back.

Angel Higuera

Cyano is brought about because of excess nutrients. Do more frequent water changes and maybe add some chemi-pure. That will help.

Also check your water. If you are using tap, stop. Increasing the flow will help also. I agree on finding the problem or the rest are just temporary solutions to an ongoing headache.

Hell, I thought I was doing to many water changes! I was doing 10% a week, then stopped and started doing 10% every two weeks. And I have an RO/DI filter, not using tap. As for flow, I am having a hard time keeping things still as it it. I have 2 mini-jet 404 pumps that are running full open, and it throws things everywhere. My sand and corals are constantly being moved. Although I don't run alot of flow through the fuge. The fuge, btw has been cleaned out, I did that right after the picture was taken. I do have a 10000K 60 watt bulb on the fuge 24/7. Should I consider Turning this off?

Thanks for all the help so far, I'll go searching for cyano solutions now.

Looks like cyano and diatoms. You apparently didn't let your tank cycle long enough. Two big things... more flow (not necessarily high power, but directional!) and maybe adding a skimmer. Cut back your feedings and your light if you can as well.

And 60 watts on that tiny fuge! I used to run a 13W on my 5 gallon fuge! Oye!

• 2 weeks later...
jenniebutterfly

i had some of this slimy algae on a few rocks and i bought some astrea and turbo snails and they got rid of it very quickly, mine was not as bad as yours but if you buy enough it may work for you too

Archived