Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What's That! See Pics

larnie

Ok

I was getting ready to go to bed. I went over to my nano to check on things. Only the moonlight was on. Almost in the back of the tank I saw what kind of looked like a worm.

10630Creature-1.jpg

You can see it almost in the center of the photo (sorry it was a nightshot with flash). It's at the base of the rock with substrate in front of it. It's black with kind of greyish/green spots. I'm not sure if its a worm, or some sort of tentacle.

The weirdest thing about it is the way it moves. It doesn't push itself forward. It grows, or extends, its tip. As the tip extends, it changes its color pattern. See the extention of the tip in the next photo.

10630Creature-2.jpg

It was kind of freaky to watch.

Does anyone know what that is?

It's coloring looks a little like a Harlequin Serpent Star (See Julian Sprung's Invertibrates - A Quick Reference Guide, pg 217) But the way the tip extended, like blowing up a thin baloon, doesn't match up.

Ohhhh...haha. man, you guys have good eyes. But I can't make a positive ID based on that photo...I'm getting kinda dizzy just trying to focus in on it. haha. I must be gettin old.

Originally posted by repman

tigah i havent found it yet either ha. Guess we both need glasses

haha...sad thing is I'm wearing corrective lenses (well, contacts at least). It's like one of those mystery puzzle posters where you have to squint and cross your eyes and eventually you'll see a 3 dimensional figure of some sort...like a toothbrush or peace sign. I think i got it now. the dark brown thing (which looked like a shadow or crevice to me) is actually the thing itself. It's some type of brown leg extending from the rock on the right-hand side.

Archived