Coral Vue Hydros

IS my lighting too much for my tank????

Djm9288

hey, I was at my LFS and the lady said that I may have too much lighting for my tank. would u say that its too much?? 96watts PC for a 10g???

there's no such thing as too much lighting for a reef tank...HELL, i have seen 400watt 20,000K MH over a 7 gallon ;)

but if you tell me what you plan to keep..

ill give you my opinion on how much lighting you "NEED"

but the question is..."What do you want?" LOL

See i didnt think it was too much either, its just what the LFS lady said(who i am never going to again) I want to kepp LPS and maybe a xenia. I really like the euphillya(sp???) like Hammer, torch, bubble; I also like the open brains.

Daniel

tell her to 'have a coke and stfu!' :P did she also give you the 'having corals in such a small system is irresponsible' speech?

you're fine imo. if you also plan on low light animals you can always put them on the sides or under some LR shade. ;)

YES, and she also wanted me to keep an anemone!!! No joking!!!

but she is selling me a bunch of stuf , and I mean a ton of stuff for only 75 bucks!!!!! Including a Kent Maxxima RO/DI unit (24gpd) that is barely used. if u didnt know, those retail for over 200 bucks!!!!

Daniel

djm, i have a 400w MH on my 10gal!!! tell her to #### off!! 96 is no where near enough for some sps or clams.

for LPS and xenia it is plenty ;)

what all you getting for 200??

Lunchbucket

Im with Lunchbucket on this one. I dont think you can have too much. Problems with large wattage bulbs is HEAT if you have a means of getting rid of the heat then dont worry about it its fine. :)

Happy reefing

Joe

Ummm....

No, you don't have too much.

BUT....it is possible to have too much.

1.There is some evidence that some/most corals shut down under too much light.

2.Some fish can go blind under too much light -- although all I know of are lions and puffers, which aren't likely to be in many nanos for long ;-)...

3.Heat issues.

too much too fast is not a good idea, alot of softies and some shroom could start to bleach out under too much light. the 96 is fine over your 10g but i would n't put a 400w MH over it that just over kill on the electric bill. :) Only sps and some lps's really need super intensity to be happy. Don't cook the tank with a whole lotta light but don't deprive the corals of light as well.

"If it looks healthy then it is healthy" by:Perrin.

Archived