Innovative Marine Aquariums

RE-attach Candycane Head?

PaulP

I have Candycane with about 15 heads on it and it is doing well. But one of the heads came off and is floating around the tank.

Is it history or can it be anchored or re-attached?

Thanks

Paul P

just the head off or the whole polyp. seems that your candycane wanted to create a frag for you. jam the polyp in between some rocks.

No, it is just the polyp, the soft part - Floating around like a balloon. There isn't any hard part to use glue on. Somehow, it released from the rock structure. I don't know if it released or if one of my hermits who likes to climb on the coral knocked it off.

I once tried super-gluing a yellow polyp and all I succeed in doing is killing it, making crab food. They loved it :)

If glue is the answer, I'll try it but I am looking to the experts before I goof up

Paul P

if there is absolutely no skeletal material inside the tissue then chances are it wont survive. For calcification to occur there has to be the extracellular area between the living tissue and the leading edge of skeleton. The coral with help from by products from photosyn decrease the pH in this tiny area and this is what makes calcification in zooxanthellate corals happen as fast as it does.

Archived