ReefCleaners.org

corals for JBJ Nano Cube (24w lighting)?

sacjon

I have the stock (24w) lights on my 12 gal JBJ nano cube and I would like to add another coral or two. I got a hairy mushroom 2 weeks ago and it seems to being doing well - it has already split 3 ways and has grown about an inch in diameter. I know i need low - moderate light corals, but does that limit me to mushrooms and polyps only?

I have read and heard that with only 24w lighting, I cant have any hard corals, but I was researching Candy Cane corals on Dr. Foster's site (liveaquaria.com) and it said that they are ok with moderate light. Should I trust that statement?

Basically, I am looking for a somewhat peaceful species that wont spread too much (I only have 12 gal), but something more colorful and / or unique than another mushroom.

Any suggestions?

Here's a pic of my hairy mushroom - its really pretty!

It looks realy sick. ( in a bad way not like "man that is sick!" Like maybe it fell behind a rock for a week or two. If it is truely that coloration it is beatiful and sort of rare.

I've been unable to have a thriving LPS (stony coral) in my nano. Even though I have additional lighting. You might have better luck. Try a small frag of Candy Cane. If you start to see the calcareous skeleton become more prominent and the polyps not expanding as much as they did at the store, it maybe time to pass it along to a friend.

Originally posted by SaltyDawg

It looks realy sick. ( in a bad way not like "man that is sick!" Like maybe it fell behind a rock for a week or two. If it is truely that coloration it is beatiful and sort of rare.

how can you tell it looks sick? is it the color or something else? the color is not very accurate because I am still learning how to get true color on my digital camera

Archived