inTank Media Baskets

nano tank with sump

CKSNano

Main Tank Spec:

15g with 15-20lbs of LR & 3" sandbed(decorative)

4x32W PC light (1-50/50 1-.03 2-10K)

Sump Spec:

15g with 5" sandbed , 5lbs of MM & 8-10lbs of LR

32W 10K PC light

First off let me say your tank looks great. how long has it been up and running?

How can a reef have "100% natural filtration" if it's not in nature? I agree it is nice to use natural methods of filtration, but if anything plugs into the wall it's not natural. if it's in a glass box, it's not natural.

I think it's preatty sweet. it's dense with corals, so you don't like the colors. It seems like LOTS of other reefs are all purple and have very little coral growth. this is a nice mature tank. What do you not like about it besides the fact or colors? personaly I think some of the stuff in the front up high should be lower so you can see the corals behide it well. I'm sure when the frags were first in the tank the were much lower, but know they have grown significantly. Also maybe make some frags from your corals and place them on the left where there is bare rock.

Im using a Fujifirm FinePix 2300

The photo does look brown compared to the real thing(cryster clear)

Let me try posting 'brighter' pic

This tank started out 1yr ago as a FOWLR + protein skimmer

Started adding coral & light 8 months ago using the same setup

Then started trying the natural concept just 4months ago

what differences have you noticed since the change from skimmer to natural? What fish do you have? I'm a newbie, but it looks like a clown (captive breed?) and some sort of blenny, but I can barely tell the difference between $hit and shineola so i'm probably wrong.

I like this tank cause it's different. If you ever saw me you'dd be able to tell I look different. It seems like most reefs all look very similar. I think a nano mangrove would be fun (if somone has a good one online please send a link). I know Biotype tanks are popular in FW, but do people keep reefs that have only livestock that are found in the same area. This would include corals, snails, shrimp, fish, plants, clams, and so on. It would look especially cool if several were kept side by side to show differences in biodiversity. or how about going the complete oposite way and usuing artifiacal LR made in the shape of pikachu or hello kitty! you could match up the right corals to atcheive the corect coloring. Also instead of giving your crabs shells to live in you could give them dolls heads, plastic tampon aplicators, or the heads from bobble head dolls. Has any one heard of the women that went around making molds of rock stars genitals durring the 70's? you ciould use those molds to create some sold or celebrity tonga phalic live rock.

lol tgrupert, u've really funky ideas

My skimmer couldnt take as much bioload as the current filter

i feed heavily(everyday) both the fishes & invertebrates

Im not sure about the exact name of that Goby. Diamond goby??

That crown fish has been there for 1year or longer, added it soon after cycling.

Something that makes it different is that i feed my tank stuff that r considered "snake oil" to many

-Reef vital DNA

-BlackPowder

-Coral Vital LSB

-Spray dried phytoplakton from TLF

My calcium has been peaking at 550ppm and Alk at 10dKH for the last 2 months without dosing additonal chemical and/or water change.

Hey, I'm building a nano with a sump, you show pictures of the tank, then pictures of the sump. If you could, please take a picture of both the tank and sump. Thanks!.......btw, I'm all for the natural method. I'm setting up a skimmerless 120 reef.....I'm going to apply all the nano-knowledge I've gained on this board to a large reef...we'll see what turns out.

Wow, I really like your setup. Its very natural looking. Thats one of the things that really appeals to me. So good going there.

How is the clam doing? How much growth have you noticed?

Thanks for the comments people :)

The clam has been there for 4months so far.

About the growth, i wouldnt notice any, probably because i look at it everyday.

Even for my clown fish I havent notice any growth, and it has been in my tank for 1++ years. But when friends come over they would comment how much is has grown.

Archived