Pod Your Reef

Mean Clown

Nano4Kids

My first fish in my tank was an ocellaris. It was in then tank for about a month and I just added a firefish and a royal gramma. The perc is picking/biting the firefish and chasing the gramma around the tank. Should I let them all sort it out or take the perc back to the LFS and get a new one to add that won't act like he owns the place.

Also, do clownfish stop swimming to sleep? No matter what time I look at my tank my perc is always swimming.

Thanks

Doug

Are you positive it is a false perc/ocellaris? Usually those guys are much nicer than the true percs. Often times LFS's get the two mixed up and mislabel them. Why don't you post up a pick and let the nano-reefers try to figure it out. =)

If your perc is that mean already, chances are that he will be mean to anything else that enters your tank. Since he was there first, he has established dominance over the tank and will protect it w/ all his might.

Best to add the most peaceful fish first and then the "meanest" last. So I would take the perc out. Let your docile fish chill free of any harassment....then later if you really want another ocellaris, you are at least in a better position to safely put one in since it will be your last addition and does not have an established territority to "claim" or fight over.

Clownfish usually don't stop swimming when asleep...they will just kinda look like they are swimming in slow motion in one spot...more or less. no need to worry about that tho. =)

If you realy like the clown you have now, do some reaquascaping and see if that will thrown him off his thrown, can't "govern" territory he dosn't know.

HTH

Well it is no longer an issue...I have bigger problems. Last night I found a cirolanid isopod up in the gills of my firefish. I netted the firefish and pulled the pod out with tweezers. When I put him back in the tank he was dead. I don't know if it was the extraction or the time out of the water that did it but he is gone. Next step is trying the "Interceptor" heart worm treatment process. If it works great, if not everything will have to be replaced or will die anyway. These things suck! (no pun intended)

Archived