SaltCritters.com

Candy Cane Anatomy

lauromon

Could anyone describe or sketch the internal structure of the candy cane coral? Does only feeding one of the heads help give nutrients to the rest?

I am trying to revive mine from a starved state. It is a decent size with about 12 heads but when I got it a couple months ago, I was under the impression that it didn't need any additional feeding. So, watching it gradually waste away, the flesh withdrawing into the ridged cone, I knew something was up.

I fed it some squid bits at night (eventhough its tentacles weren't out) and one of the heads swallowed the piece but all the other critters kept swarming it and taking away the other pieces I placed on top of the mouths. So, figure it would be best to keep in a quarantine type container (like the ones you see betas in when they are with other fish in the shops) and keep feeding every 2-3 days till it gets better (hopefully).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Short answer: no, the living part of the coral is not usually connected in candy canes unless the heads just recently split, so you will need to make sure each head eats.

kevin the man

you actually feed your coral real food? i have candy cane coral frags nad i was told ot just put some phytoplankton in the tank and they will filterfeed it automatically or something.

Archived