Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

I figured out why they died!

Fender963

I feel like an idiot. Some of you might remember my thread awhile back about my snails mysterioulsy dying. Well in total I lost 4 snails and 1 fish. And I finally figured out why!!!!!

It is my stupid powerhead. You wanna know how I know this???? 3 out 4 of my snails that died were stuck to it. The other snail disappeared and I found it's shell below the powerhead empty.

I woke up to find my fish stuck in the powerhead as well. But guess what hasn't died?!?! My hermit crabs!!! Because the powerhead is inaccessible to them!!!! I think this is good enough proof.

Now tell me. Has anyone else had this problem???

How can I stop this from happening to my new snails I am going to get???

The powerhead is a zoomed powersweep (the sweep thing is broken) and is turned down to low. The only thing that came with it to cover the opening is a big black sponge thing that doesn't fit in my tank and even if it did it looks awful....

Please help me!!

Kyle

I've read many posts about this happening - you might be able to find some kind of plastic mesh to put over the powerhead intake.

Ross

DOUGHT ! ya it happens everynow and then. IT REALLY SUCKS when they get stuck in a downdraft tube in the plumbing to the sump. Get a sponge pree-filter. Problem solved.

Archived