Coral Vue Hydros

unhealthy candy cane polyp

prettyflywhiteguy

prettyflywhiteguy

i recently picked up a candy cane at my LFS, they'd just gotten in a new shipment and this particular piece didn't ship or acclimate well so they just gave it to me for free, one of the polyps looks like it's rotting apart, i put it in a high flow area hoping that i could just blast the dead tissues off of it but there was nothing doing with that.. now none of the polyps are inflating all the way and the rot is getting worse, if i take a hammer and bust the rotting polyp off will that help the others? please advise

holyherbiness

I wouldn't imagine that it would, since all of them are doing badly. Besides, they are all seperated. However, removal of the rotting one is always good because it pollutes your tank.

prettyflywhiteguy

called a friend who enlightened me to the fact that they don't like direct light.. moved them and the polyps seem ok

does the idea of just breaking the bad polyp off with a hammer sound reasonable?

I've never tried cutting or breaking a stony coral before

btw.. my father lives in littleneck, we were probably neighbors 2 years ago while I was going to Cardozo High, crazy..

Archived