Coral Vue Hydros

Catalina water

g0tfish

I havent heard alot about Catalina Natural Ocean Water and i wanted some info. I just wante to know how many of u guys have used this product and if its actually ok to use. Are teh water parameters basically alredy set? I will be setting up a 6 gallon tank and instead of mixing a batch of salt everytime for a water change, i wantd to use this Catalina stuff from petco. Any input or feedback would b greatly appreciated

There was a similar thread regarding Catalina water and a lot of heated debate, which could've all been avoided if one misconception was cleared up beforehand. So I just want to clarify it now before other ppl begin to jump in w/ conflicting stuff. Simply that there are more than JUST one source of natural sea water labeled/referred to as "Catalina Water."

The stuff you speak of is the one filtered and packaged by the reputable Catalina Water Company which treats the water thru various filtration systems and makes sure that it has all the appropriate levels of salinity, calcium, trace elements, etc. I use this water, and have seen dramatic increase in coralline and overall health in my coral. If you can afford it, definitely use it.

PETCO carries the Catalina Water from Catalina Water Company either in boxes (which is more expensive - $10 per 5g box) or by the gallon via spicket. Of course by the gallon would be ideal since it's a lot cheaper and you can bring your own jugs, but only SOME Petco's sell it by the gallon. MOST sell it by the $10 box. So those who can get it by the gallon at PETCO are very lucky.

Similarly, some LFS's also carry Catalina Water Company prepared Catalina Water. But this stuff can get too pricy for some LFS's, so DON'T just assume that the "Catalina Water" sold by your LFS is always going to be the same Catalina water prepared by Catilina Water Company! Ppl just assume this, and fail to realize that there really are different sources of store-bought Catilina water out there. Even the Catilina Water Company website indicates such by stating "accept no other alternative source for Catalina Water..." And some other language that you can read for yourself.

Since we are now all aware that not every LFS carries the SAME Catalina Water from Catalina Water Company, let me say that you must test the water if it is in fact not from Catalina Water Company. The company tests the water constantly, and that's why it costs more for LFS's to carry it. But the other stuff is usually just taken STRAIGHT from the ocean and not given as much TLC in preparing it.

For example, one LFS I go to carries Catalina water, but NOT the water from Catalina Water Company. The LFS also stated that his source of Catalina water was usually too high in salinity (1.027-8) and needed dosing of pH buffer before adding to one's tank.

Last time folks didnt really know that there was more than one source and when I said that my LFS's Catalina water needed to be treated before use, folks just told me that my LFS guy was basically "stupid" or didn't know what he was talking about. But I have heard this from more than 1 LFS and if you go to catalinawater.com (Catalina Water Company's very own website), they even state:

"Don’t be fooled by imitators! Feel free to contact us at anytime to verify that the water you purchase is being sold by an authorized Catalina Water Company Dealer."

So I just urge folks to be more careful and actually attempt to make sure that the Catalina water they use is truly the stuff from Catalina Water Company. Because if you are in fact using another source of Cat. water, then you could potentially making matters worse by not testing the water and adjusting for any discrepancies in water params. =)

Oh....and now back to your question, g0tfish. LOL. sorry about that. but yeah, the stuff from Petco IS in fact Catalina Water Company's quality water. So go ahead and use it if you can afford to. Great stuff!

I sue scripps from jeff's too. Ive heard that alot of times its sold as "catalina" water anyways...

Tigah, what petcos in LA have you been to that carry catalina water via spiget?

Archived