Coral Vue Hydros

Kalwasser Mix

spyderglyder

Im New in the game and I have a quick question about Kalkwasser. I have read that you can use builders lime mixed with RO water and vinegar.

The mix seems straight fwd

Can anyone tell me if you can use Garden Lime.

I was advised at Bunnings (hardware store) that it contains the same chemical make up as Builders lime and it has been refined a little more. Thanks in advance

The only product not sold as Kalkwasser that I've seen used as kalkwasser is pickling lime (you can find it in the grocery store or online for cheap.). And I'd be careful cutting kalk with vinegar...you can wind up destroying the carbonate and pH levels in your tank if you aren't careful (you're effectively "super-saturating" the solution by increasing the acidity of the substance you're dissolving the kalk in). I'd start off just dosing Kalk mixed in regular water first off and watch your readings..if you find that it still isn't giving you the Ca levels that you want..THEN start cutting some vinegar into the mix.

Cheers,

Fred

No problem, spyder. Kalk is probably the "trickiest" supplement you ever need to think about using in reefing. It's got a huge upside when used properly (good high Ca levels, correct pH, properly maintained alkalinity, precipitation of phosphate), but it can be dangerous because if used incorrectly it can then destroy all of the levels mentioned above..lol. The first time I ever started dosing it, I basically wrecked a tank..lol. (pH spiked up to almost 9, Ca was over 900 while ALK was under 1 meq/L). It was crazy. So just be careful and everything should be okay.

Cheers,

Fred

Archived