SaltCritters.com

Pics of tanks with black sand please.

EnderG60

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the gobies aren't too big if you find a smaller one...I had one for a long time in my 12ga nano cube and he did the job quite well at about 3" long...they hide alot anyway...

oh hell thats nothing, its just regular brown diatom alge.

It would look ALOT worse on white sand.

Anything that moves sand will help. Nass snails dont do squat for that. But a sand sifting star, conch of any kind, horseshoe crab, or any sand sifting goby should take care of that no poroblem. Or hell just using your hand to turn over the top layer of sand will work to.

I have a sand sifting star in my 58g and when he goes on his adventures across the rocks i get spots like that, but once he gets back on the sand they are gone.

if its worse on white sand then so be it, because even tho i want white sand i will never do a subtrate change, too complicated

i was thinking a fighting conch but there arnt any available ANYWHERE around here, so i want to see what type of goby ifynanceu had in his 12 gallon so i can try one out, i think that owuld be pretty cool

also, along the glass i see alot of worm thingies, i duno if thats exactly what they are, i cant describe it

I had a diamond goby in one tank, and a blue spotted ladder goby in the nano 12. They are the all white ones with blue spots around the jaw area...They work great and don't seem to jump as much as the diamonds

so maybe a diamon goby and a blue spot ladder goby will work in a 10 gallon?

when it cleans all the sand will it eat normal mysis or brine? im pretty sure right?>

I would say the blue spot over the diamond...The diamond I had kept jumping into the filtration and sometimes out of the tank...but the blue spot was mellow and never jumped around or out.

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/494334.html

that says they reach up to 6" in length, and require atleast 20 gallons

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/494794.html

that says they grow up to 6" and prefer 60 gallons

i have a hi fin banded goby right now and on that site it says htey reach up to 4" and require 20 gallons

i am not sure, i am jsut worried that it wont be happy in its conditions, there fore i still do not know which one to choose, i do not wish to contain one that will outgrow the tank and be miserable =/

so between the diamon and the blue spot ladder, the blue spot was better? was it smaller than the damond?

yeah, the blue spot was smaller and don't pay them much attention for size...just make sure you don't have too many fish in the tank and give it enough room to dig and clean...i have a sand sifting star in my 50t, but i like the gobies better

you can overstock your nano and starve the fish out...many people have many different thoughts on 1" of fish per ??? gallons of water...Everyone will give you a different idea there, but I had successfully kept 5 fish in a nanocube 12ga. I had a maroon clown, a blue spt ladder goby, a red variation psychodelic mandarin goby, and off hand I can't remember the other 2 ( i sold the tank some time ago), but many said my mandarin would not live, but it is still kicking healthy in my 50t along with my maroon clown. I had each fish in the tank for a purpose. They all complimented each other and it made for a great tank. 5 fish, a maxima clam, sps, lps, zo's, and a green marbled bubble anenome all in a 12ga!!! 110w of t-5 & pc lights kept them all happy!!! I can shoot you some pix so you can see for yourself the triumphs I sustained by not listening to one person's advice only. Trial and error (alot less errors than successes)!!!

yeah sure!! go for it!!

i was first inspired to the nano reefing world from seeing Acoustics tank, thats a particular reason why i chose black sand, but now that after experence i wish i had chosen fiji pink

i could have saved 15 bucks by not purchasing a penguin buio wheel mini, i coulda put that 15 bucks to buy the fiji pink, i think that white would reflect the light more and if black obsorbs it,...

right now i have 3 fish, a pair of false occelaris and a high fin banded goby

i do not think 4 will be too much at all, there are alot of people who say 3 is too much, but i think with proper maintence itll be fine.

i dont know why but i really want to change the subtrate from this black to white, in acoustics tank the black made the colors pop so it seemed, thats what i want it to do but i dont know, its also difffernt than many other set ups, i was so stoked about it and now im blah, i hope to try some sps, from seeing brooklyn johnny and deezreef's 10 gallons with low PC watt power and relaly nice sps i want to give it a go, once my lr is odne curing and i got some rubble in my ac500 and i get a minilight and some cheato and then later on a diy protein skimmer

sorry to go on and on, i alwyas do, i get into this thinking process of not knowing what to do at all,..., i have a feeling i rushed into my tank a bit to quick,.... but anyway please post some photos, i love seeing peoples set ups

here is an old pic in an old thread I had started...i will find some of the other better shots so you can see...the fiji pink sand sucked as it always showed the algae growths and the garbage in it...the black is the sand of choice for me, but I may set one up with the carib sea snow white stuff to try it...4 fish is not too much as long as you maintain your water changes and keep the quality high. I always did 3-5 gallons per week and had no skimmer...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...?threadid=28383

Nice tank!!

Yeah, i wanted the fiji pink, but i knew i still would have needed a sand sifter to keep it clean, but even tho i have to still keep it clean ill keep this i guess, less stress on me i guess

yeah i have the figi pink in both my current tanks, i like it alot, not to large not to small, and looks great. and i have a sand sifting star in each tank to keep it clean.

and the only problem i see with keeping a "lot" of fish is teritory issues. At one point I had an eel and 3 fish in my 10g and the nitrates stayed at 0. I just have alot of live rock and 2x the recommened bio balls. But alas the the maroon is a ass and took out the other 2 fish and the eel found his way into a pump :(

Archived