Innovative Marine Aquariums

Flase percs and true percs together?

junglejim83

I was skeptical when i read a thread about some one having a false and true perc living together in their tank. But i have heard this mentioned a few times once again. And after reading Wilkerson's clownfish book it there is reason to believe they could actually just be subspecies of the same species. DOnt worry I'm not gonna rush out and buy on first response of a "could work" just wondering, b/c i'm gonna get another clown soon and i saw some amazing true percs at the store yeserday and wanted to know if it was realistic. Also, do you think if the size difference was substantial, the new fish being 2-3 times the size of the old one could that help the situation( I figure this works for clowns of the same kind) If people think this is foolish i will trust your opinions, i was just playing with the idea.

Jim

hi ok about the p. clown if you go and buy a new one it should be smaller then the current one, this is because of the dominace and terratory of the original fish. So try and gret the new one smaller then the current one that is what i'm trying to say. You get the new one smaller then the current because the female is the lagest in the genrae and this will cause a fight if they are the same size ( means that they are both females).

hope this lets you decide on the new addition to your reef.

rocket

Jim,

What you suggest is certainly possible, but not always 100% satisfactory. You can actually get clowns of different species (and not just the percula complex clowns) to bond and mate, with the right precautions, and some luck.

Of the different possibilities, the perc & ocellaris interspecies marriage is probably the easiest. So you've got that going for you. The best route is, as you suspected, to get a new juvenile that is significantly smaller than your current clown. I'd recommend putting the new fish right into the main tank (after acclimation), and keeping a close eye on them. There WILL be fighting, and probably even some damage, but hopefully the new guy will begin sumitting quickly.

If it really seems like he's taking ###### and coming back for more, refusing to submit, then I'd suggest you put him in out of those in-tank breeding baskets. You know, like what's used to raise young fish, but keep them away from their predatory parents or neighbors. This will allow the two clowns to interact and get familiar, but prevent damage. After a week, I'd start putting the juvie back into the main tank. If they don't play nice after a few hours, or things look dangerous, put him back in the breeding tank. Repeat daily.

If problems persist, it probably just isn't possible for those two fish, and you should look for a different home.

This is the method I used to introduce a friend's saddleback to his clarkii, and while they don't appear fully mated, as we had hoped, they are at least playing nice.

the reason i had though to get a larger fish to put in eith the one i have is that i probably wont be able to find one smaller then what i got

Jim

The problem is, the one that's already in the tank has thoroughly established territory. It doesn't matter how big the new fish is, the existing one will probably defend its territory til its death. There's also the possibility, although not that common in solitary clowns, that it's already begun its transformation into a female. If you find another larger fish that has also started its transformation, you'll wind up with two females. The metamorphisis is non-reversible and they will most likely duel it out til the death.

Notice the theme of death. Not good.

If the clown you already have really is that small, then this could be a little more difficult. Thankfully, its youth will make it a little more open to tolerance of others. Your best bet will be to just find the smallest tankmate you can. With them both being young, they might respect the fact that the original clown has some ownership over the territory, and adjust accordingly.

If you really want to try adding a larger clown, you should remove the current clown for 3-4 weeks. Keep it in a quarantine tank or other aquarium for the time. Add the new fish to the tank, let it claim its territory while the toher one is gone. Then after those few weeks, put the original clown back in. This disruption will hopefully have broken his association with that tank's territory, and he'll be more willing to submit to the larger inhabitant.

Archived