Innovative Marine Aquariums

Whats 'compatible' with Yellowtail Damsel?

kevinvr6

I want to get something else, maybe another small fish, or some shrimp but I hear they are very aggressive. What can I throw in there and not worry about the fish fighting with it?

Thanks!

12gal Nano Cube

Hey there,

I've got a yellow belly damsel, and once wondered the same thing... I tried to add an orchid dottyback, because I was told that it had the best chance of defending itself and was pretty aggressive as well. I added him at night, hoping it would be better. I think he was able to kind of hide out then, but in the morning, my damsel beat the crap out of him. I had to take him out so he wouldn't be killed. I think you are SOL as far as adding another fish.

You may be able to get a shrimp, though. I have a cleaner shrimp. T he damsel does like to chase him into the back, especially around feeding time, but he doesn't seem to hurt him... he just likes to show him who's in charge.

I think nothing is safe w/ the damsel at this point, especially since he is clearly the king of his domain now. Adding another fish will be like pushing an intruding goat into a lion's den...Unless you are utterly attached to him, I would give him back to the LFS and increase your options w/ other types of cooler fish.

Orchid dottybacks are rather passive as far as dotty backs go. I have a scott's damsel with a purple dotty back (different species than the orchid - orchids have a black strip on their face/head the purples do not) and they get along fine. They actually share a cave at night.

Damsels are hit or miss. They can be very aggressive. However, from what I've read and my own experience the yellow tail damsels are actually rather mild. I wouldn't add any passive fish, but a six line or one of the moderate tempered dottybacks like a purple/magenta or diadem should be ok. Do not get the bi-color dottyback; they are hell on wheels and will terrorize fish 3 times their own size.

Archived