Cultivated Reef

green corraline algae?

gullmo

Hey whats up all? I have been idly sitting by waiting for my tank to cycle (it'll be a while because of using uncured rock) so I haven't had many questions as of late. I hope someone can help me identify green corraline algae though. There is a large patch of it(?) on one of my rocks I think. It looks like a huge patch of olive colored dried glue and does not look at all like the purple and pink corraline on the rocks or any pics I've seen in books or on the net. The hitch-hiking hermits in my tank love eating the stuff so that is why I was wondering what it was exactly. Sorry I do not have pics, I don't have a digital camera, all my money went to my tank. If anyone has a pic of some from their tank or can offer any other wisdom I would appreciate it!!! Thanks

Pete

there is such a thing as green corraline and its usually cuased from lower light levels and good alk levels. however if your hermits are eating it i highly doubt its coraline and in fact some sort of micro algae. you could do a few more water changes to see if it helps remove what ever is feeding it and just watch it. new tanks will go through a variety of algae blooms so not a huge deal.

aaron

Thanks for the reply. I should have specified that this patch was present when I received my rock and is slowly being eaten away. Trust me I know all about the algae blooms!!!! It doesn't look like any macro that I have seen either, I could very easily be wrong. Sorry to be a pest. Dang I need a digital camera!!!

If its not slimy,hairy or sticky...its coralline. Do you have any growing on your glass?...if so, coralline usually grows in circular splotches. Also, can you see it kind of "crusting" over the rock. Coralline looks more mineral like, than plant like. What kind of hermits? not all hermits eat coralline. I hope this helps a little, its hard to tell without a pic.

Good luck!!

Thanks Brian. I am just going to assume that it is corraline because it fits that look. It is definitely mineral like and not a macro. I think that my lights may be killing it off because as reefriot said green corraline likes low light, and as it is breaking up into little pieces maybe my bluelegged hermits are picking that off and eating it? Just a thought. Not that there isn't enough brown diatom for those bastards to eat!!! Thanks again for the help guys.

Archived