Innovative Marine Aquariums

6 Gallon Eclipse

achu

My 6 gallon eclipse was started with only 4 medium pieces of live rock that I picked from tanks where the sand was loaded with little critters... I added lots of dead rock from a tank that I had 2 years ago (I first cycled it for around 3 weeks to make sure nothing was decaying on the rock). I put in a small amount of "dead sand" (also cycled with the rock) ...

Within a few weeks, I had sand loaded with copepods, bristleworms and all kinds of little critters that I never saw in my 45 gallon reef! Without predators, the critters just multiply!

Oh, lighting... I have 2-13W PC full spectrum and 2-15W actinic (they sit to one side of the tank...)

I also have a cpr bakpak skimmer running...

My topoff water has kalk... I have been doing a 2 gallon water change every week, although, I think that it does more harm than good at this point...It seems to take the corals a few hours to start looking like they did before a water change...

Here is a picture of my admittedly overloaded tank of a large variety of all colored button polyp colonies, mushrooms, star polyps and some sps (that surprisingly are doing quite well)

Oh, by the way, this pic was the "pre" aquascaping... It looks much better now that I've changed out the powerhead, taken out the heater and put it in the bakpak and re-aquascaped the tank...

achu

my tank... I think it looks better than before... but I'm still cycling two large pieces of dead rock that should do well in each back corner. Then I won't have such a tough time getting the sps's up higher. That seems to be the main goal right now...

I'll have to show you my montipora, it has noticably grown since I got it 3 weeks ago.

I really don't like the term "dead rock" how about "base rock" or my favorate "certified preliving rock." Let's try not to put down different pieces of rock. We need to "celebrate diversity.":P

In all seriousness, nice zooanthids.

but don't forget "snails are people too";)

They really are pretty close to that neon color. The electric orange might be a little overexposed, but If you look at the green polyps in the background for reference, that is about the true color of the green polyps...

I am really happy with one of the 15W NO actinic bulbs that I have. It doesn't burn as warm or as bright as the other, but it seems to make an amazing difference in how my polyps flouresce.

By the way, that neon polyp rock was a gift! What a cool gift!!!

In fact, most of the stuff in my tank were given to me... that is why I am a quite embarassed to be posting a pic of my tank knowing that it is overloaded...

Achu

Archived