SaltCritters.com

low-light corals

aquaman7

Dr. Saltwater

Relatively low lightning, what doesn't mean non-intensive lightning like TL (T8) if it isn't in great numbers:

- Leather- & softcorals

- Montipora digitata (SPS)

- Caulastrea furcata (LPS)

These are examples ... the most common ones when asked :)

Originally posted by aquaman7

oh.....how 'bout green star polyps???

You could probably grow green star polyps in a cup on your kitchen counter. I had to redo my entire tank not to long ago and I found them growing all overt he place in the back of the aquarium where hardly any light could get to them, and I didn't even put any back there so I have no idea where they came from.

How about ZERO-lighting needs corals...like nonphotosynthetic sun corals...wait...why are they called "SUN" corals then? Life is filled w/ such question marks.

aquaman7,

What is your definition of low light environment? When I think pow light I am thinking 2 to 3 wpg(which we know is a bad way to do it).

Peace

Richard

Oh...I don't even have my tank set-up yet. I was just curious if there were any other corals with relatively low lighting needs that i didn't know of.....and Dr. Saltwater gave me a couple of suggestions i didn't know of (monitpora digita and caulastrea furcata which I previously thought need higher lighting levels).....but anyway my definition of low-level lighting would be VHO's or not enough power compacts so maybe 4-6 wpg with 60+ lumens per watt? Thanks again for your info.

Archived