Innovative Marine Aquariums

Feeding Tubastrea Cyclop-eeze

artschwartz

My LFS sold me a frozen bar of cyclop-eeze. They told me that I could feed the tubastrea by dissolving a little bit of the bar in some tank water and then feeding them with a turkey baster.

Is the cyclop-eeze a good food for the tubastrea?

yes, but they should be fed meaty foods on occaision too.

such foods include mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, small chunks of krill, shrimp, scallops, & chopped squid.

tubastrea are pigs, and cyclopeeze is good but too small! they should be supplemented with chopped meaty foods as well.

Smokin-Reefer

man, how exactly do you feed it? Sometimes when I scrape the glass, the feeding tentacles or whatever, come out and I try to squirt mysis at them. It makes a big mess. How are you guys doing it? Please let me know!

Daniel

I have a yellow and black, sometimes I take the coral out to feed zoo plankton but with bigger foods like mysis its pretty easy to squirt them at the polyps with selcon. If you miss then just suck them back up

Dr. Saltwater

The suncoral (Tubastrea aurea) actually needs daily care. Every single polyp needs to be fed if you want to keep the whole colony nice and healthy. Feed it artemia or zoo plankton for example.

The best way to feed it and don't mess up the whole tank is to buy a small pice of transparrant PVC. Transparant so you can see everything what's happening. Hold it over the coral and then feed it by syringe or by hand for example. This way the coral is accurately fed and should be in good health. Make sure you don't keep the PVC to long over the coral. This way it won't get fresh current to breath on.

Hope you can do something with this. Works all the time ;)

Smokin-Reefer

bahaha, I posted that question about feeding, but I don't know what I was thinking! This post is about Tubastrea, and I was thinking about my caulastrea...musta been the -astrea part that resulted in my "brain fart"

good info though!

Dr. Saltwater
Originally posted by artschwartz

I have been turning off my powerhead when I feed them so the food (cyclop-eeze) doesn't get carried away.  Is that a bad idea?

No, that isn't bad, if not turned off to long. That's why I use my indea. You'll pay all your attention to this coral and the other corals shouldn't be worried about.

Archived