SaltCritters.com

freezerburn?

chufa

I have a big piece of fish in my freezer. I take a small piece once a week and feed it to my frogspawn. It's really cool to watch!

But since I feed it so sparingly, it has been there for a while. Eventually it will get freezerburn :x The same happens with some beefheart I use for my oscar.

I don't eat much fish, so I don't have fresh fish around usually available.

For people who feed frozen stuff, are you concerned about freshness/freezerburn? Are there any bad effects besides loss of nutritional value? Do you toss leftover frozen fish food after a month or so, or you use it all up?

I buy fresh shrimp, scallops, and squid. Then I make a reef cocktail using my wife's blender (Don't tell her :o ) then place it in freezer bags. I buy enough to last about a month. Haven't seen any freezer burn. If your worried about losing nutritional value, try soaking the fish in some Zoe or Selcon. HTH

Guest samson

I make a special blend of fresh food too and keep it for about 1-2 months, never have any problems wiht freezer burn and my little guys almost jump out of the tank for it. Must taste good.

BustytheSnowMaam

Hi-

What I do is ask at the meat counter for 1 or 2 big cocktail shrimp. At first I thought they'd think I was strange but then they told me that people come up and buy a couple of shrimp for their salad all the time. This way I'm only out 75 cents or so when I chuck it at the end of the month (I've noticed my hermits aren't as interested in it as when it's new, so I'm assuming it's probably not as good). Similarly, you could probably ask for small portions of other seafood, that way there's not as much going to waste.

Tasha

BustytheSnowMaam

The other thing I've heard of is blending a mix of seafood and freezing it in the ice cube trays with the little tiny squares.

Tasha

Guest samson

My brother-in-law does that for his tank. his fish love it too. the cubes are nice because he has a 55 gallon reef with much larger fish. The cube feeds the whole tank pefectly.

Archived