ReefCleaners.org

Considering switching from 2x55 PC's to 175 MH, Suggestions?

Guy

I recently set up a 29 gallon that I had laying around, and it is lit by 2x55 PC's. I think I need to add some additional lighting as the center is well lit, but the sides are a bit dark. I thought of adding a 13 watt to each side, or simply to add another 55 in the center and stagger the bulbs so the sides get some light as well. But if I add another 55 I am at 165 watts.

Would it make more sense to simply run a 175 MH? I happen to have one laying around so there is no additional expense. If this makes sense, are there any suggestions on acclimating the tank to the new lighting?

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

thanks

Guy

PS- I only have a few softies in the tank right now, but I am looking to migrate 2 Montipiora (spelling?) frags to the tank from my 55 gallon.

I'd stick the MH on it. As far as acclimation, if possible, mount the light about 10" - 12" above the waters surface. Move your corals as low as possible in the tank, and gradually move them back up higher over a period of a couple of weeks. HTH

How deep is that tank??

Thanks for the response. The tank is 18" deep and 30" long.

I know the rule of thumb for MH is 1 every 24", but I am hoping the increased wattage and intensity will overcome the problem.

guy

just keep the lower light guys to the edges. my hospital's a 20L (30") perfecto with an mh. i shift it to one side (by design of course, NOT! :P ) the lower light guys are to one side and the clams are in the middle. still bright enough for viewing purposes. you could keep the mh a little higher (cover more area) due to the shallow tank depth too (adding back in sandbed).

Archived